PDA

View Full Version : Better Bandsaw Blade?

Mark Rios
03-26-2004, 9:47 PM
I need to buy some more bandsaw blades and I need any advice anyone has on a particular blade for cutting the type of wood below on my Grizzly G0555. It's walnut root (burl?) and the 1/2" AS blade from Timberwolf cuts it very well but I can't get it to cut straight. It doesn't drift but wanders back and forth and all around something terrible. Their 3/4 AS-S blade cuts very straight but doesn't last very long. They don't make a 3/4 AS blade. Has anyone got any definitive information on blades for cutting very curvy (figured) wood? The TW blades cut just great for all of the other cutting that I do but in this case I need something else.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim Becker
03-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Try putting some more tension on the blade...I find that the flutter test is just not enough for really thick and gnarly wood like that. 'Crank it up!'

(And feel free to leave a hunk of that on my doorstep if you have too much for yourself...:D )

Mark Singer
03-27-2004, 1:01 AM
Lenox Trimaster! Variable pitch carbide....$100 but will outlast 25 Timberwolfs! I have both...

nic obie
03-27-2004, 1:14 PM
Lenox Trimaster! Variable pitch carbide....$100 but will outlast 25 Timberwolfs! I have both...

Mark,

I take it that's the 3/8", .032 thick one. What size saw do you run it on? I now use the 1/2", .025 thick Lenox carbide on my 16" saw with excellent results. I've been wanting to try out the 3/8" band for awhile but have been afraid of it cracking. For me the 3/8" size would be perfect for an all-purpose blade. Now I'm switching back and forth between the .5" carbide and a .25" 6 tpi, bi-metal also from Lenox.

Mark Singer
03-27-2004, 6:54 PM
Nic,
I have the 1" wide Trimaster on my Aggazani 20" and I have a few other Tw blades for that saw , but I rarely if ever take the Trimaster off. I have a 14" Jet w/ a 3/16" Timberwolf for tighter radii. The Tri is a resaw / rip bandsaw and the cuts are smooth. Eagle tools carries them ...I am not sure if there is a 3/8 or 1/2" version.

Jim Becker
03-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Iturra carries the Lenox TriMaster in 1/2" and maybe smaller.