PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Dresser

Dave Avery
04-06-2008, 3:14 PM
All,

Finally finished a dresser I've been working on (and off) for about two years. The design is slightly modified from Woodsmith. The top, sides, and drawer fronts are made from figured cherry veneer. MDF is the substrate. The contrasting wood and base is cocobolo. Drawers are made from curly spalted maple. The drawer pulls are hand-hammered weathered brass - and cost more than the materials for the rest of the project combined :(

Cabinet and drawer construction was done with the Festool Domino, something I'd use again for the cabinet but probably not for the drawers. First time using non-mechanical drawer slides, which went pretty easily.

Finish is shellac followed by Bartley's gel varnish. The top also got Beall polishing componds and wax buffed on with my Festool Rotex.

Altogether, a very satisfying project. Thanks for looking. Best. Dave.

Duncan Potter
04-06-2008, 3:41 PM
Very impressive. I like the simple straightforward style and the mix of woods.

As a newbie who has been shying away from drawers, I look forward to the day when I feel I can tackle a job like that.

One minor complaint...you posted pics, but I need BIGGER pics! :p

Matt Crew
04-06-2008, 3:59 PM
Very, very nice work.
Two years, you work very methodically like me.
At least thats what I tell my wife.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2008, 4:32 PM
Nicely done Dave!

Joe Mioux
04-06-2008, 4:39 PM
Congrats on a successful project. It looks wonderful

joe

Peter Quinn
04-06-2008, 4:44 PM
Wow...BEAUTIFUL!

Ron Jones near Indy
04-06-2008, 4:54 PM
Very nice Dave! Are matching pieces planned in the future?

Dave Verstraete
04-06-2008, 5:04 PM
GREAT Job! Beautiful! You need to spend more time at your hobby though.

Dave Avery
04-06-2008, 8:16 PM
Very impressive. I like the simple straightforward style and the mix of woods.

As a newbie who has been shying away from drawers, I look forward to the day when I feel I can tackle a job like that.

One minor complaint...you posted pics, but I need BIGGER pics! :p

Duncan,

Getting any pic's to post - after resizing, etc. - is a challenge for me. Send me a PM with your email address I'll send you some full size pics after I'm back from a business trip later this week..... Best. Dave.

Dave Avery
04-06-2008, 8:19 PM
Very nice Dave! Are matching pieces planned in the future?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm actually almost done with a dining table that has the same veneer, cocobolo accents, and some beautiful 12/4 curly cherry for the base. Pics hopefully soon.

As far as other bedroom pieces, I made LOML a lingerie chest early in my hobby-making that I CAN'T STAND and that I'd love to replace.........

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 8:52 PM
That's really lovely, Dave! Very nice work.

Matt Meiser
04-06-2008, 8:56 PM
Very nice Dave!

Craig Thompson
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
That is simply beautiful..... makes me want to go out to the shop and work on real furninture, instead of cabinets all the time....

Dave MacArthur
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Very nice! You said the drawer fronts were the cherry veneer, and drawers were made from curly spalted maple-- you mean you have that awesome wood hiding inside there as just drawer boxes? Wow. I'd love to see a pic of that! Great looking top, I love the finish and grain.

J. Z. Guest
04-07-2008, 12:06 AM
That is super nice, Dave. My wife thinks so too. I probably shouldn't have shown her, as she will probably now have high hopes.

Rob Will
04-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Very nice Dave.......but where's the shaker dresser you want to show us?;).
That is some seriously nice furniture.

Rob

John Thompson
04-07-2008, 1:47 AM
Very nice, clean lines as Shaker should be. I would also like to see larger pictures but I suppose that is not possible on the site. Very difficult to view detail with the down-sized prints.

Again.. well executed...

Regards...

Sarge..

Bill Wyko
04-07-2008, 2:05 AM
Dave you've done yourself proud. Nice job on the grain match drawers. The finish looks great too. What's next for you?

Johnny Kleso
04-07-2008, 3:48 AM
Super nice looking but the word Shaker doesnt belong :) They would be shaking in there graves I bet so see such a fancy piece as your..

I mean no disrespect its awesome but to read Shaker Dresser and see your beautiful dresser just dosent click :)

Dave Avery
04-07-2008, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Alright....... Shaker may be stretching it a bit, but I wasn't sure what else to call it.......

Offer made earlier in the thread stands - anyone who would like to see larger pics, please PM me your Email address. The small pics posted above don't do the wood grain justice at all.

Thanks again. Best. Dave.

J. Z. Guest
04-07-2008, 9:13 AM
Very nice, clean lines as Shaker should be. I would also like to see larger pictures but I suppose that is not possible on the site. Very difficult to view detail with the down-sized prints.

It is possible. It's just that there are file size limitations. The best way to show larger photos is to resize them to 800 width and set the jpeg compression to medium.

Anyone who wants a tutorial on how to do this, download & install Irfanview and send me a PM. (www.irfanview.com (http://www.irfanview.com))

I believe Contributors are allowed to post larger photos than Members.

Don Bullock
04-07-2008, 9:19 AM
That's beautiful!!! Your fine craftsmanship shows in the final project. Two years, hmmm, I'm sure it would take me much longer.:eek:

67 days and counting.;)

Walt Caza
04-07-2008, 9:24 AM
Wow Dave,
Beautiful wood, and beautiful work.
I cannot recall a nicer offering in 'Shaker'!
You gotta be proud of this new heirloom...

Any chance of getting a peek at your drawer construction in there?
be well,
Walt
:)

Dennis Peacock
04-07-2008, 9:26 AM
Beautiful piece Dave..!!! Love the design and the woodwork is right on. :D

Greg Cole
04-07-2008, 9:44 AM
Hi Dave,
Very nice indeed. Not sure if I should share this with LOML, though if she sees the 2 years part she might actually think I work fast? If not she'll just the wonderful dresser and ask why that walnut that I "had to have last fall" is still in a stack in the shop and not looking much like a dresser???
BTW, I'm eager to see what you do with that cherry for the dining table you mentioned awhile back.

Cheers.

Greg

gary Zimmel
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Dave

Very nice work. I love the style.