PDA

View Full Version : How to handle tearout

Steve Busey
04-06-2008, 2:41 PM
Put my first roughed/DNA'd/dried blank on the lathe and gave it a spin - some roadkill cherry. Some soft wood (pith?) by the edge is giving me problems - how can I clean this up, besides making the bowl 1.25" shorter. :) Thanks for any advice you can give a newbie!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 2:47 PM
Steve you can do a couple of things. One is to use some wood hardener and I got some from minwax but is some nasty smelling stuff. You can use CA (Super Glue) thin and soak the area but that takes a lot of glue. Myself I mix up 5 min epoxy until it is well mix then mix in some Denatured Alcohol until it is the consistancy of milk. I paint it on the inside and outside till it won't take anymore. Generally I let this set for about 24 hrs. Make sure you soak all the soft wood. Then put it back on the lathe and finish turning. I have did this on several pieces and the epoxy cocktail as I call it has worked well. I got this from our own John Hart who is a member of this site.

David Wilhelm
04-06-2008, 3:25 PM
Steve if you have Cherry I'd remove the pith from it if it was mine. I can't make out where that is on your blank. Take light cut with a very sharp gouge and get as much of the unneeded wood out of the way. I would spray this with a soap/water 50/50 mix as I cut or paint it on with a brush. When you are where you want to be use thin CA if you still have bad soft wood. Make a choice is the bowl worth all the effort for the size?? cost of glues ect........ things to think about. IF so soak it and turn. The 60 grit gouge may be needed, just take your time. You can always fill these spots to give it some added caricature.

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 5:18 PM
Bernie, that's a great recipe! I'll add that to my cookbook and give it a try. Lately, seems like all the logs I'm turning are punky.

Burt

Steve Busey
04-06-2008, 8:51 PM
Thanks Bernie, I may have to try your cocktail. I don't envision being near anyplace for the hardener in the coming week, and it would likely take a lot of CA. I don't have the 5 Min epoxy, but will try and thin my System Three T-88, which I already used on a void a little lower in the picture.

David, that's the outer edge of the rim, shooting from the bottom of the bowl toward the rim - camera died after one picture, so that's all I have. Intentionally left my thumb in there for size reference. Entire bowl from tenon to rim is 5.25" high and about 8" diameter, so am not real anxious to lose 25% of the height if I don't have to.

Thanks all - any other tips will be appreciated!

Norm Zax
04-07-2008, 3:42 AM
Ive also heard people soak there softer woods in the floor polish. Get one of those waxy floor coats (those that promise a shine) and give it a good soak. Never tried the method and it seems logical as the wax is quite tough (needs to withstand shoe marks for a week) but also thinking about finishing wood that already has wax in it. May be a challenge as well. Tell us what worked best.