PDA

View Full Version : Built-in vs. bookcases: what trade-offs to be able to take it with you?

Dave MacArthur
04-06-2008, 2:29 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=822773#post822773

Hi folks,
I posted a thread in the design forum; but am also looking for anyone to respond with pictures or links to similar whole wall built-in projects, or any casework where maple-ish cases are edged or face framed with dark.

Also, I'm interested in people's thoughts on whether to fill a wall with shelves using built-ins that you leave, or affixed-bookcases that you can take with you? What are the trade offs in look etc.? I tend to move a lot in the military, and hate the thought of leaving nice stuff in a few years.
thanks!

jim oakes
04-06-2008, 3:41 PM
If you're renting the house it's way better to not install, unless your landlord gives you permission ( I'd get it in writting) to remove them or pay you for them when you leave.

I built my new house with most things not attached. Your property taxes go up if you have attached furniture or cabinets. I took it a step further and built unattached lofts and rooms.The house is mostly open, but the two "rooms" are large bookmatched plywood cubes that sit on the polished concrete floors.

The tax man just shook his head when I showed him. I smiled. I hate paying property taxes.

glenn bradley
04-06-2008, 4:20 PM
Being a woodworker I would build it in. That way I would get to make a new one when I moved.

Dan Barr
04-06-2008, 5:27 PM
if i bought the house and was going to sell if i moved, then build it in. great selling point if you do it up really nice with molding and all that.

If renting, i wouldnt even bother building in.

If i bought the house and was not going to sell it if i got orders, i would still build it in. renters appreciate not having to buy one more thing. in this case bookcases.

I would want to build something else afterwards also. unless otherwise swamped with projects. then i would build nice stand alones to match my furniture and take them with me. make them sectional so that they are moveable.

trade-offs:
built-ins are permanent, immovable and made to suit the house first, not necessarily match furniture. freestanding bookcases can be made to specifically match YOUR furniture but not the house usually. having that much more of a matching furniture "set" might be nice or might make you feel restricted. depends on you.

seperate bookcases can always be moved to other rooms if you grow tired of them or decide that they are better suited elsewhere.

If you're going to go with built-ins, you might want to think about converting one of the rooms in your house into a den or library. Example: convert a second living room into a den.

all up to your taste and preference.

ciao,

dan

Joe Scharle
04-06-2008, 6:51 PM
If you plan the crown molding to be removed, then you could build them to go when you go.

Kevin Groenke
04-06-2008, 7:08 PM
A possible advantage to built-ins is that they may need to be "beautiful" on only one face (or 2, or 3). I've got a 15' wall with 2 bookcases and a fireplace. The fronts, interiors and top (mantle) look great, the rest looks horrible, but nobody will ever know.

-kg

Dave MacArthur
04-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Wow Kevin, really nice work! My wife was just looking over my shoulder and now she wants me to copy that ...;) Good point too!