PDA

View Full Version : sweet gum ne vase

mike fuson
04-06-2008, 1:58 PM
This is a piece of sweetgum , I really don't care for the way this wood looks, just looks dirty to me, I'll let the rest of it spalt. It measures 6 1/2x 6 1/2. Seal coat and wax for the finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/sweetgumvase.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/sweetgumtopvase.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 2:53 PM
I hate to tell ya Mike if that is a dirty vase it sure is beautiful. I really like the NE top on it. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2008, 3:00 PM
Very nice work Mike! I actually like the bland nature of the wood - allows us to view the form without having all sorts of figure competing for attention! Great form and soft finish - love the natural edge!

David Wilhelm
04-06-2008, 3:08 PM
I like it Mike. I get that dirty look from time to time one my green wood when i use BLO. I didnt' notice it near as much with my home brew but i was told that what i was using would spoil on my wood.......... I sand a little more on those spots and hope for the best. Let them dry a while, sand and then finish. What do you think that rust/vinegar mix would do to gum ? Again, I like what you've got there.

michael gallagher
04-06-2008, 3:41 PM
I think it looks pretty good - I like the pureness of the light color, and the natural edge really adds to it.

charlie knighton
04-06-2008, 7:42 PM
i like your hf, nice form and great touch with the natural edge, i turned something that may have been sweet gum, and it was a pleasure to turn, the shaving come off great and almost did not need sanding. How was that hf to turn?????????

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2008, 8:49 PM
Pretty HF and NE rim on that one Mike. :cool:

Nathan Hawkes
04-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I hate to tell ya Mike if that is a dirty vase it sure is beautiful. I really like the NE top on it. Well done.

I couldn't agree more. The NE on top makes it really unique.

mike fuson
04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I like it Mike. I get that dirty look from time to time one my green wood when i use BLO. I didnt' notice it near as much with my home brew but i was told that what i was using would spoil on my wood.......... I sand a little more on those spots and hope for the best. Let them dry a while, sand and then finish. What do you think that rust/vinegar mix would do to gum ? Again, I like what you've got there.

I have'nt a clue David, never tried it. I think there is a thread on here somewhere that its discussed , I think steel wool and vinegar was in there somewhere.

Richard Madison
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
What a great shape, Mike! Sort of a compressed amphora look. I love it.

mike fuson
04-06-2008, 10:21 PM
i like your hf, nice form and great touch with the natural edge, i turned something that may have been sweet gum, and it was a pleasure to turn, the shaving come off great and almost did not need sanding. How was that hf to turn?????????

Its not a bad wood to turn, and it sands well, but I did find that tear out is hard to see.

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Mike, the proportions on that piece are spot on...it's wonderful. I actually think that the material works, too...it doesn't take your eye away from the exquisite form.

Tom Sherman
04-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I like it Mike, simple but elegant.

Bill Wyko
04-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Beautiful Mike. I think the color and the shape really make the NE VERY beautiful. You are extremely talented.