PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide!

Duncan Potter
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
For my new Gramercy dovetail saw kit, walnut or curly maple handle? I've got enough of both.....

And thanks to the Neanders on SMC for the inspiration to try this project!

Brian Kent
04-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Hold the walnut in one hand, the curly maple in the other, close your eyes and go with the force.

Then choose the curly maple:D.

David Tiell
04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm rather partial to curly maple, so that would be my recommendation. I would also recommend that if you do go with it, use a clear finish with no stain. I've got 2 LN saws with curly maple handles, which they use a light stain on, and while they are pretty, they would look better in natural.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2008, 12:47 PM
For my new Gramercy dovetail saw kit, walnut or curly maple handle? I've got enough of both.....

And thanks to the Neanders on SMC for the inspiration to try this project!

You need to make two saws.

jim --simple solutions are best

Casey Gooding
04-06-2008, 4:36 PM
My vote is for the Walnut.
It's what is on the Grammercy saws and it looks fantastic!!

Jack Camillo
04-06-2008, 9:25 PM
My walnut-handled Gramercy will be here on Tuesday. I'd have liked to go with the kit, but I get enough crap for spending the time to make stuff - she'd be really giving me grief if I was locked in my workshop making stuff to make stuff!

harry strasil
04-06-2008, 9:56 PM
Not locked in, but I spend a lot of time now down in the toy shop or the dungeon which ever mood she is in at the time. When you have nothing but time its rewarding just making things (tools) to make other things. Besides, when you are forced to quit your day job it keeps you from going nuts. She works from home at a computer, and I work at home in the basement which keeps us from getting on each others nerves, and we both are at the physical stage where we have to help each other at times. At least she knows where I am unlike her first two husbands who liked to bar hop and other assorted endeavors. And, I make her whatever she wants or needs when she asks. She works for a Mental Hospital which my neighbor (a friend I think) told her was good training for living with me. LOL

Jack Camillo
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I tried the excuse that I could be a bar-hopper or golf fanatic rather than at my in-home shop. Didn't really work. Oh, well, guess I'll have to call in sick from work to get maximum shop time...