PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for Perk tests?

Dennis Peacock
03-26-2004, 8:57 PM
OK...I got some paperwork from the local health department so I can research what kind of septic system I have and to see if it was done anything like what was approved.

I am looking for any guidelines for perk test results that I can find. My average perk test rate was 23 minutes per inch.

Now I gotta figure out if I have to rework my entire septic system.! I sure hate buying a house that I didn't build.!!!!! Far too many builders thake FAR TOO MANY short cuts to save $10......Sheesh.....

Now...don't get me started on that crap......I hate the level of construction that most builders build by any way. For an additional cost of $2,000 per home....a builder can go from an "average" home to a "really well built" home. 'nuff said before I work myself up into a frinzy.!!!! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-26-2004, 9:00 PM
Found this using a Google search:

Perk Rate - Rate at which soil absorbs water. The perk rate is measured in a standardized unit of Minutes Per Inch (see Minutes Per Inch). Perk rates less than 15 MPI and greater than 105 MPI are too fast and too high, respectively, to permit the installation of a septic system.

Your local code might be different on the upper and lower rate limits.

Tyler Howell
03-26-2004, 9:17 PM
Sorry for your hassle Bud.:( If I were a little closer! Won't be the first time I've been Knee deep in it.:rolleyes:
Just learned to wear the waders.
Good luck.

Ray Thompson
03-26-2004, 11:40 PM
I thought Indiana was behind. We don't have perk tests anymore, you have to hire a soil scientist ($300-500) to come out and do 6 foot borings over the proposed leach field. He then sends a report of soil types to the board of health who determines what kind of septic system you are allowed to install. There are several different kinds of fields they allow including an open pond system. In fact they are offering free installation of some of the new types of systems to get more long term data on their effectiveness. Good luck, Ray

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2004, 3:24 AM
I thought Indiana was behind. We don't have perk tests anymore, you have to hire a soil scientist ($300-500) to come out and do 6 foot borings over the proposed leach field. He then sends a report of soil types to the board of health who determines what kind of septic system you are allowed to install. There are several different kinds of fields they allow including an open pond system. In fact they are offering free installation of some of the new types of systems to get more long term data on their effectiveness. Good luck, Ray

I feel it Ray.....I can't even get a septic system contractor to even give me a bid with out our "soil engineer" out here to say....Yap, you gotta problem awright.....better call somebody to have a look.!!! Now sir, that will be $350 and oh...BTW...have a nice day.!!!!

In otherwords, I gotta spend $350 BEFORE I can get an estimate on the septic system fix. Just got LOML's car fixed....$$$$ for THAT to get fixed. Now I get to spend $$$ for a Soil Engineer and then get to spend up to $$$$$ for a septic rework. Most folks don't do "rework" type work any more...only NEW Construction. :(

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2004, 3:28 AM
Sorry for your hassle Bud.:( If I were a little closer! Won't be the first time I've been Knee deep in it.:rolleyes:
Just learned to wear the waders.
Good luck.

Tyler Ol' Buddy.....

I wish you lived closer too.!!! :D

I need all the advice I can muster up and I would redo it all myself if'en I could find me a backhoe to borrow (not rent) for about 3 days.!!!!

Kinda like....push all the dirt back, put in 12" of SAND and all new piping and then put 6" of top soil back on top of it.

I did find out that the local "wet season" water table is only 6 INCHES below the surface....can you say......<b>septic system stays under water for 4 months of the year?</b>

I just wish I knew more about this kinda stuff....so I would be a better edge-u-muh-kated home owner. :mad:

Randy Moore
03-27-2004, 9:18 AM
Dennis, if I live closer I would come over and we would put that septic system in with you. But I live in K.C. nad I am back to work doing sheet metal, was off for 6 months.
I wish you all the best.

Randy

Billy Reynolds
03-27-2004, 9:09 PM
I feel it Ray.....I can't even get a septic system contractor to even give me a bid with out our "soil engineer" out here to say....Yap, you gotta problem awright.....better call somebody to have a look.!!! Now sir, that will be $350 and oh...BTW...have a nice day.!!!!

In otherwords, I gotta spend $350 BEFORE I can get an estimate on the septic system fix. Just got LOML's car fixed....$$$$ for THAT to get fixed. Now I get to spend $$$ for a Soil Engineer and then get to spend up to $$$$$ for a septic rework. Most folks don't do "rework" type work any more...only NEW Construction. :(

Dennis may I suggest you contact Tim Ragland. He reworked an existing sytem for me about four years ago. He didn't require anything since he was reworking an existing system. Everything sure working great around here since then. Keeping my fingers crossed on the re-org, hoping our department will be safe from the lay offs. Later, got to get to bed early tonight as I have to work this Sunday.

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Dennis may I suggest you contact Tim Ragland. He reworked an existing sytem for me about four years ago. He didn't require anything since he was reworking an existing system. Everything sure working great around here since then. Keeping my fingers crossed on the re-org, hoping our department will be safe from the lay offs. Later, got to get to bed early tonight as I have to work this Sunday.

Thanks for the tip Billy. :D

I'll give Tim Ragland a call and see if he will give me an estimate and a possible solution to my very long standing septic problem. All I can say for the reference....Thank You!!!