PDA

View Full Version : question about nailguns

Derek Larson
04-06-2008, 8:43 AM
Good morning all, I want to purchase a nail gun but I know nothing about them. I want to do cabinetry, bookcases and molding. What type of gun am I looking for - Finish nailer, brad nailer? I have no idea what to look for any input would be greatly appreciated. Now I would like to stay around $300 is that reasonable?
Thank you

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 9:01 AM
Derek, your wide range of intended uses may or may not be best handled by a single gun. Historically, most folks have opted for the 18 gage brad gun for general work, and that particular tool will do an overall good job in many situations. The fasteners are small enough to not make to large of a hole and big enough to hold small to medium size molding/casework, especially if glue is also involved.

But like in almost anything, there are so many other choices. I've been using a 23 gage headless pinner a lot more these days. My original one only shot 3/4" max length fasteners which limited it's use, but the Grex 635 I recently purchased handles 1 3/8" long fasteners...long enough for nearly invisible holding of things like face frames and mid-size moldings while gluing in place. I use a 15 gage angle finish nailer for heavier work...it shoots real nails that have significant holding power. And when shooing longer fasteners, like 2", there is less chance of grain deflection with the heavier nails.

But my 18 gage brad guns do get a lot of use, so I'll still recommend it as a good starting point for the first pneumatic nailer in your stable with the caveat that you pick up a pinner next. Handy...very handy...

Eric Haycraft
04-06-2008, 9:01 AM
You may want to pick up the 3 gun kit from Senco. It has a brad, finish, and staple nailer. They aren't top of the line, but they will certainly get the job done. They won't drive the really long nails, but should be good for 90 percent of the hobbiest's needs. The only big hole that I see is the lack of a pin nailer and you may be able to pick up a pinner with the remainder of your 300 dollar budget.

Jacob Reverb
04-06-2008, 9:19 AM
I have more expensive guns (Senco Accuset, Hitachi), but I wanted a stapler for utility projects, so I picked up a 18-gauge combo stapler/brad nailer from Harbor Freight, and I gotta tell ya, for $20 this gun ROCKS! I've only had it about a month, but I've already gotten my money's worth out of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

Edit: I now see my link doesn't work. To see the gun I mean, just go to the Harbor Freight Tools site and enter "40115" in the item number search box.

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 9:24 AM
You may want to pick up the 3 gun kit from Senco. It has a brad, finish, and staple nailer. They aren't top of the line, but they will certainly get the job done.

Thanks, Eric...I actually forgot to mention that in my previous reply. These kits are very nice values for many woodworkers.

Peter Quinn
04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
My set up is a 23GA pin nailer for tacking or very fine moldings backed with glue. 18GA brad nailer for utility work and medium sixed moldings, 18GA narrow crown stapler for blind work like the back side of a glued casing or back band (nothing holds like a staple), and a 15GA angled nailer for crowns and face nailing thicker casings. I know a lot of guys using a 16GA straight finish nailer and would like to get one as the penetrations are a bit easier to fill then the 15GA.

There are lots of good makers out there with similar features. I have heard so many god/bad reviews about just about every maker that its hard to draw a conclusion. I'm using PC, senco, bostich right now, and all have performed well for me.

Look for good guns with adjustable depth on the gun and easy jam clearing. I don't get many misfires but some models are easier to clear than others.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I have an 18 guage 5/8"-2" nailer and a 15 guage 1"-2.5" nailer. Both these guns do everything I need. I am intrigued by the headless pinner but haven't had a use for it yet.

Matt Ocel
04-06-2008, 12:52 PM
If you do off site work or what the heck even in your shop, look into a passlode impulse gun.

Mikail Khan
04-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I think that an 18 Ga Brad Nailer with a 2" capacity is a good starter. The kits are good value but normally have a 1.25" brad nailer instead of a 2" and a straight finish nailer instead of the angled version.

I think Amazon currently has the Hitachi and PC 18 Ga nailers for between $65-$70.

MK