PDA

View Full Version : can I use a poly finish coat over several layer of oure Tung oil

John Nowack
04-06-2008, 8:43 AM
I just fianlly finished my first hollow form turnings (its a good thing that the word form can mean just about anything). They are cracked a little and sealed with CA glue but I want to complete the job for practice and so I can look at them in 20 years and remember what it was like berfore my pieces were selling for thousands of $$$ a peice:D

here is the question
1 has several coats of tung oil--can I put polly spray over that or should I just use the wax buffing system?

2 has just been sanded--i want to leave it as close to the true color as possible--Should I just use spray on sanding sealer followed up by a couple of coats of poly- is there a certain kind of sealer and poly to lean toward for a glossy finish

Burt Alcantara
04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
I usually finish with BLO frictioned on followed by 1 or more coats of SealCoat also frictioned on. Lately, I've been using wipe-on poly, at least 5 coats then buffed. Gives a great looking finish.

As far as 20 years from now, the wood will certainly be there. I'd imaging the finish should to, all things being equal.

People change, next year you may not care for this vessel and decide to just oil it or not use a finish at all. I wouldn't worry about 20 years from now.

Burt