PDA

View Full Version : Bowl gouge

Russ Peters
04-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a mini lathe that i have been turning pens on to start my trip into the vortex. Well after looking/lurking I have decided that I want to be sucked in deeper and want to turn bowls and platters. The swing on my mini is 10" over bed and about 7.5" over the banjo. What size gouge should I look for? is it better to get a 3/8 over a 1/2? thanks

Russ Peters
04-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I keep forgetting the search tool till after I post sorry for the repost.

Darryl Hansen
04-06-2008, 7:53 AM
Russ look into the "Ellsworth" type gouges. With the grind you can turn end or side grain equally well. Ellsworth 1/2 or 5/8ths would be my suggestion but you will get 150 recommendations form 50 different people. check with a local club someone there would be pleased to demonstrate.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2008, 8:10 AM
Russ......I'll agree with Darryl and give you a different opinion. The limited hp on the typical Mini...I'd get a 3/8". For nearly 2 years I turned on a Jet VS Mini. I'm just now starting to use my PM3520B. The only bowl gouge I had was a 3/8" irish grind....ellsworth grind bowl gouge.

If you have a local club join. Members, I'm sure, will be glad to help you learn to turn bowls. If not, I'd highly recommend Bill Grumbine's first video, "Turned Bowls Made Easy". He demonstrates how to sharpen the irish / ellsworth grind and how to use it. Really good video. The nearest turning club for me is 110 miles ONE WAY from here, so that is how I learned. Excellent video!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 8:17 AM
Russ you might look at Thompson Lathe Tools. He has gouges that are reasonably priced and made of a good steel that last a long time between sharpening. 3/8" V shaped bowl gouge for $40.

Gordon Seto
04-06-2008, 8:33 AM
There are two standards on measuring bowl gouge sizes. Don't get confused in comparison. The American standard uses the round diameter of the steel. The other standard uses the width of the flute, which is 1/8" larger than the US.

If I am just having one BG, then I would choose the 1/2" diameter even for a mini lathe. You can't always bring up the tool rest close enough in some cases, especially for hollowing the inside. A beefier tool would allow you to overhang over the tool rest farther without chattering. A smaller tool may get you a finer finish cut, but there is nothing an extra grit of sandpaper won't fix. Chattering is difficult to sand away.

The small Ellsworth gouge is 5/8" in diameter.

David Wilhelm
04-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Gordon is right about size. I vote for Thompson, turn your own handle and give it your personal touch. You do not mention what your lowest RPM is but i'm guessing it's 500 that being the case I'd advise a 5/8 and the V shape. if you go with a Sorby that would be a 1/2 inch gouge as Gordon has explained. I good scraper if you like and again sand paper like it's free.

John Cooper2
04-06-2008, 1:54 PM
Got my vote for thompson also, have the 3/8 and 1/2 love them

Doug Thompson
04-06-2008, 2:22 PM
Russ,
The 1/2 diameter is a perfect size for a 10 inch bowl, it's large enough to rough the blank but not to large so it's easy to handle. The 3/8 diameter is a little small to rough a blank of that size.

You do have a Wolverine jig to sharpen the tools?

Russ Peters
04-06-2008, 7:01 PM
not yet on the Wolverine. been freehanding my HF specials so far for the pens it seems to work out ok. The jig is next on the list'o'purcheses that seems to be getting longer. thanks for the input on sizes

Curt Fuller
04-06-2008, 7:08 PM
Russ, I don't mean to throw a wrench in the spokes, but......if you learn how to sharpen your tools freehand, without a jig, there's not much reason to buy a jig.

Russ Peters
04-06-2008, 7:15 PM
I sharpen them, thats not to say that I have a consistent angle or am repeating the angle that came on them. I am planning to get the jig so that when i start to buy tools that I plan on keeping I don't mess up the angles. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the HF specials just that now that I am circling the edge of the vortex when I take the plunge I want a set that I can go and turn with confidence.

Bob Hallowell
04-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Russ,
I just got done roughing out a 14" bowl with my favorite gouge a 3/8 v groved. I did use a 5/8 ellsworth to even it out before I switched. For a mini I think you could do most things with a 3/8

Bob

Doug Thompson
04-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I think Packard woodworks has the Wolverine, Vari-grind and diamond dresser at $145

Gordon Seto
04-07-2008, 1:14 AM
Hartville Tool may have a better deal with free shipping for over $75.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10795
The Wolverine Jig $80
Vari-Grind $48
T handle diamond dresser $14

If your turning Club signed up for the discount program, you will get 20% discount. Or if you mention "Woodnet" when you phone in your order, you will get 15% discount.
The net including shipping would be around $115 to $120.