PDA

View Full Version : power sanding disks

Jerry Pittman
04-05-2008, 9:44 PM
I have been power sanding with 2" wave and round disks from one of the two popular woodworking specialty stores. I thought they were doing a good job but it seemed like they were used up soooo fast. So, I followed recommendations of several turners on different forums and tried the blue film disks from Vince at WoodnWonders. WOW, what a difference! I haven't used them much yet but the one project I sanded today after getting them in the mail shows that they do a better job, quicker, and seem like they will be longer lasting. I followed Vince's recommendations and started at 80 grit and went step-by-step thru 400 on some maple I was turning and the finish is the best I have ever gotten, not to mention how quickly it came up.
I will be using blue disks from now on. And the micro hook velcro that he uses is much stronger than the ordinary stuff so the disks don't come off, flod over, etc., if you do something you weren't planning on a edge or in a corner.
I talked with Vince on the phone and thru a couple e-mails and found that he is one of the 'good guys'. He was very helpful, listened to what I was doing, and then gave his recommendation. On top of the great product, you add in the great price, and a good person to deal with, and you can't beat it!
Jerry

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 8:35 AM
Jerry thanks for the info and sharing. Guess I will give them a try.

Gordon Seto
04-06-2008, 8:48 AM
Bernie,

You won't be disappointed. They cut faster and last longer; saving both time and money. As hobbyist, time has no materialistic value; but shortening the time on the part that is not enjoyable is a great value.

The disk is over-sized, with the rounded under-pad, you don't need the wave disk. The edge won't dig in like other round disks.

Reed Gray
04-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I will second this endorsement of Vinces discs. One thing I found out is that even when they are feeling dull, they still cut well. I can usually sand out a 3 or 4 cored bowl set with one set of discs. The discs will feel a bit dull after using the cleaning stick, but there is still a lot of dust coming off.
robo hippy

Cyril Griesbach
04-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I couldn't be happier with Vince's discs.

David Wilhelm
04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
someone E me the link. I'd like to see them as well

Cyril Griesbach
04-06-2008, 1:00 PM
Here's the web site for Vince' discs.

http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2008, 3:26 PM
Jerry - you are right about Vince and his blue film discs! Picked up my first ones from him a couple of months ago and love them! Am amazed at the difference between his discs and the gold paper ones I was using - no comparison! The film discs cut faster and last 2 to 3 times longer than the paper ones and don't rip while you are using them! I highly recommend checking out Vince's website!