PDA

View Full Version : How to identify an old plane?

Jim Andrew
04-05-2008, 9:42 PM
My wife's granddad had an old steel plane, large, I'd call it a jointer plane. Anyway it's been on a shelf in the garage for about 30 years. I needed something bigger than my block plane, so I got it out and cleaned it up, sharpened it, and used it to plane the face on my new large front vise down even with the new bench top. Thing is, there are no marks on the thing at all. It's built just like a stanley, as well as I remember, used one in school shop about 40 years ago. It's in pretty good condition, the odd thing is you turn the screw left to put the blade in deeper. My stanley block plane you turn right for deeper, so figure that is the standard. Jim

Glenn Shotwell
04-06-2008, 7:58 AM
In my research on planes in the last few months I'm pretty sure that I've only heard of Union planes having the adjuster turn the opposite from Stanley's. But I'm learning too so don't quote me.

Go to this page and and see what you can assess from the information here:
http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

steve swantee
04-06-2008, 7:59 AM
Hi Jim, any markings on the top of the blade? Does it have a lateral adjustment lever under the blade? Any numbers or letters on bottom of frog or behind it? Is there a bead turned on the base of the knob? Early Stanleys had no markings other than a logo on the blade and possibly a number on the bottom of the frog.

Steve

steve swantee
04-06-2008, 8:03 AM
Hi Glenn, an early stanley adjuster turns left to advance the blade, unlike later vintage stanleys.

Steve

Jim Andrew
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Glenn, thanks for that link. According to their information, it appears to be a Sargent. Now I just need to know where to find info on Sargent planes. Jim

Glenn Shotwell
04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
here (http://www.thckk.org/sargent.html)

here (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/museum/shaws/shaws.html)

and

Sargent Planes Identification and Value Guide 2nd Edition by David E. Heckel
(I don't have this book though)

are all that I am aware about so far.

Why not post a few good pictures?

Clint Jones
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Just post a picture I will tell you what you have.

Jim Andrew
04-06-2008, 9:34 PM
Not a computer geek, do not know how to post pictures, the blade has Fulton Tool company stamped on it. And it has a corrugated bottom. Does that help?

Glenn Shotwell
04-07-2008, 1:04 AM
Go to ebay and type in "Fulton Plane", and also check completed items.

I found this quote on Google, not sure it is true or not:

"Sargent manufactured planes for Sears Roebuck in the 1930s and 40s under three brand names: Fulton (low price), Dunlap (middle price), and Craftsman (high price). So for anyone who cares to admit they are familiar with the current Sears tool line, Fulton would be the pre-war equivalent of the present day “Companion” line of tools. In other words, bottom of the rung."

James Mittlefehldt
04-07-2008, 9:38 AM
NOt that I am going out to buy any, but who makes the planes that Sears sell now?

Randal Stevenson
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
NOt that I am going out to buy any, but who makes the planes that Sears sell now?

Just a note, If I read your location correctly, your in Ontario. Sears Canada and Sears USA, aren't the same on a lot of their hand tools. While Dahaner makes a lot of the hand tools here, Stanley makes them for Sears Canada. So it may not be the same maker from here to there.

Jim Andrew
04-07-2008, 2:01 PM
I'm not surprised that Grandpa bought a cheap plane. The fact that he survived the dirty thirtys in western Kansas is pretty amazing.
The cool thing about the plane is that it is in pretty good shape and is still serviceable. Thanks for the help. Jim