PDA

View Full Version : Ponderosa Pine

Randy Hoch
04-05-2008, 9:07 PM
This is the first bowl to survive to the finish! I'm surrounded by Ponderosa Pine and consider it a practice wood, but man, I love the looks of this stuff. The weirdest thing to me is the extreme light weight. I think that I'll turn some bowls with thick rims and walls in order to have some heft in the hand. There is sanding dust in the bottom and along the end grain on the sides. Now I know to blow that out and keep sanding! My air compressor now resides next to the lathe.
Dimensions are 7 X 2 inches and finish is BLO and buff.

Thanks for looking and your helpful critique.

Randy Hoch

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2008, 9:50 PM
Randy....pretty bowl....I like the finish, form, and the wood....everything. I've tried P-pine. The stuff I tried wasn't that dry and was a drag! Lots of pitch build up on the tools.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2008, 9:52 PM
Good looking bowl Randy! Nice form, pretty wood grain and a nice looking finish! Being pine - just how soft is it? Will it dent with a slight fingernail pressure? It is petty - just wondering how it will hold up.

Tom Keen
04-06-2008, 7:58 AM
Good bowl! Beautiful Wood..love the color.

Pine isnt the easiest wood to turn. I recently ran across these bowls if you need some inspiration..put the www. before this to find them:

delmano.com/exhibitions/2007/mainExhibitions/TurnedWoodSmallT2/artists/bLuce.htm

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2008, 8:30 AM
Randy that is a beauty. Love the wood.

Curt Fuller
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
That's a beauty Randy!

Randy Hoch
04-06-2008, 1:04 PM
Steve, yes I can easily dent with my fingernail, making this better for show instead of utility.
Tom, the delmano link is pretty neat. I'm wondering about the grain configuration on those douglas fir pieces. It's not end grain and not cross grain. What's left??? Or is it end grain perfectly concentric with the pith in the center of the bottom of the piece?
Ken, I too disliked roughing this green. It was wonderful after I put the rough in the microwave. I turned one two nights ago from one of the same blanks, but now they've been 6 weeks in my shop (with no sealer). It was great - cuts like butter and not wet or sticky. And no cracks at all. Still have the end grain tear out problems however.

Randy Hoch

robert hainstock
04-06-2008, 3:38 PM
the only cut left would be quarter sawn. It would have to be a humongous tree for that to work for turning. Nice bowl by the way. :):)
Bob