PDA

View Full Version : A less than worthy project

Chris Holder
04-05-2008, 6:36 PM
I have to get all of the lawn tools out of my woodworking shop (ok, its just a garage, but a guy can dream, can't he?), so I've decided to build a storage shed. Sounds like a great idea, right. I have plenty of room in the backyard, but the kicker is I spent $1000 and a week of my life installing a sprinkler system back there last summer. I was thinking that I could spare about 8' in width against one of the fences, and about 4-5' into the yard, but I haven't been able to find any plans that look good. I will probably just wing it (the basic construction is not that complicated), but if anyone has any pics of one this size or any tips, I would appreciate it.

Jim Dunn
04-05-2008, 7:00 PM
I winged it last year. Couldn't be happier with the results. Still not quite finished but close enough to winter the yard furniture and lawn mower in there. This is the start of the shed thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62727

alex grams
04-05-2008, 7:51 PM
i built a slab for an 8x8 for my yard tools and it all came in around 700$ for everything from slab to shingles, and it took me about 3 weekends to finish it (all the way to trimmed and painted).

Not bad, pouring the slab was the laborious part.

Matt Ocel
04-05-2008, 8:12 PM
Chris, Keep in mind, whatever size you decide on, 10 minutes after you finish, you'll say "Man - I should have made it bigger!"
Whatever you do don't open up the can of worms - should I build it 16" oc or 24" oc.

chris yount
04-05-2008, 8:16 PM
My dad and I built this 12'x12' about a year ago.It's basic but we built it and wired it for around $1000.I dont know what your Ideas are but I thought I'd post it for you.
Chris

Bill Huber
04-05-2008, 8:22 PM
I know this is a woodworking forum and most of us want to build our own stuff.....

But I finally decided to just buy one and I got a Tuff Shed, my shed is 12x16 and its my shop.
The Tuff Sheds are built very well and mine is very nice and is a real good shop. They have smaller ones and it only takes them a very shot time to install them.

This one would be just what you need.

http://www.tuffshed.com/products_details.cfm?ModelID=SBLT&TabID=photo

Matt Ocel
04-05-2008, 8:23 PM
Chris - It looks like a "good ole fashion Minnesota ice fishing shack". LOL:)

If I was S.C. I'd love to come over and help you frame it. Looks like a Saturday afternoon, burgers on the grill a couple of cold ones, then park the lawn tracter in the new shed.

chris yount
04-05-2008, 8:32 PM
Matt thats kinda what it was no frills . But shes stout and does the job.The local rate was about about 3 times that for a portable storage building that was basically 2x3's and tin cans.
chris

Chris Holder
04-06-2008, 8:46 AM
Thanks for the pics. Follow up question. Should I pour a footer or a slab or is ok simply to dig down and put in some gravel, then build the entire thing on cinder blocks?

Jim Becker
04-06-2008, 9:23 AM
Chris, I'm not sure I agree with the title of your thread...this is very much a worthy project because it solves two important needs: 1) gives the gardening gear a home closer to where the usage is and 2) frees up space in your shop. What's not to like about that??

That said, do check out the pre-built units or kits. Quite often you can put them in for the same or less money than building from scratch. You can still choose to do a slab or not, but a leveled layer of stone is usually sufficient for a storage shed with treated lumber on its base.

David G Baker
04-06-2008, 9:26 AM
Chris,
The foundation depends on your climate. I like concrete raised at least 10 inches above grade to keep moisture and water from getting into the building. I have a tendency to way over build everything I do so a raised crushed rock or crushed concrete base should be fine.
I plan on building something to store all of my yard and lawn tools in so I can free up my garage for other things. I already have three large buildings but I don't want to use them for storage.

Todd Bin
04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I winged it last year. Couldn't be happier with the results. Still not quite finished but close enough to winter the yard furniture and lawn mower in there. This is the start of the shed thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62727

Jim, the link to the thread you posted just stops. Do you have pictures of the finished project?

Fred Voorhees
04-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Chris, built this shed a handful of years ago. Basic construction, though a tad bigger than you are talking about. 8X12 with electric run to it. Holds my lawn and garden equip. as well as spreader, log splitter, pressure washer, wheel barrow, backpack blower, scaffold and various other stuff.

Keith Beck
04-07-2008, 9:23 AM
Chris,

Here's my entry, built last summer. I didn't find any plans I liked either, so I took aspects of different sheds I liked and came up with what you see below. I was really nice to finally get everything non-woodworking related out of the garag... er, shop. :D

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL371/9505758/17337251/270094935.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL371/9505758/17337251/270094938.jpg

Keith

JayStPeter
04-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I'll suggest giving it some extra size. In the future when you need more space in the gar...shop, you can move some lumber storage in there.

Mike SoRelle
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Might also want to keep in mind any local building codes, as they might specify the requirements for the floor as well as require permits and plans.

I had an unfortunate neighbor that put up a homemade shed with no permit and it ended up getting knocked down and hauled off for him while he was on vacation, the kicker was, he got a bill from the city for that too.

Mike

Chris Holder
04-07-2008, 3:01 PM
Chris,

Here's my entry, built last summer. I didn't find any plans I liked either, so I took aspects of different sheds I liked and came up with what you see below. I was really nice to finally get everything non-woodworking related out of the garag... er, shop. :D

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL371/9505758/17337251/270094935.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL371/9505758/17337251/270094938.jpg

Keith

Hey Keith, Sharp looking shed! I really like the design. The more you all mention it, the more I am thinking that I need to build this thing bigger. I'm considering now exactly how difficult it will be to move sprinkler heads around. I think I may have some shovel work in my future.

Joe Chritz
04-07-2008, 3:06 PM
Lots of areas require building permits for attached (to the ground) structures but not for free standing. Some areas require permits for any building over a certain size, even if you plan on moving it away. (had that fight once before)

Generally just using a solid base with blocks is fine for a storage building. If you want it extra solid, pour concrete pile to below grade and use those.

All projects are worthy, otherwise you wouldn't be doing them.

Joe

Lee Schierer
04-07-2008, 3:48 PM
Norm built two storage buildings You can go to the NYW site and find plans #610 and #810.

Chris Holder
04-07-2008, 4:37 PM
Norm built two storage buildings You can go to the NYW site and find plans #610 and #810.

Thanks Lee,

Actually I have the last one recorded on DVR and have watched it about 3 times. Not sure about some of his design features, such as the pitch of the roof (he's in New England and I'm in Texas), but overall I think I will pull a lot from his work.

chris yount
04-07-2008, 9:09 PM
Chris ,
As the others say be sure to check your codes, but if there is any drainage or slope it it easier to build an elevated wood platform for you floor than trying to form,fill and pour the concrete.If your lot is fairly level then I would probably go with concrete as long as there are no drainage issues.
This is a very worthy project especially if you have kids to help you.I picked up so much handing my dad lumber and nails I wouldn't even know where to start the list.Just make sure they are away from the power tools .
Good luck,
Chris

Jim Dunn
04-08-2008, 7:39 AM
Jim, the link to the thread you posted just stops. Do you have pictures of the finished project?

Regrettably that's as far as I've gotten:o Between cold weather, fishing, Christmas projects and such I never could get back outside. Add to the above the fact that it is recommended that Hardi Plank be installed in warmer weather. Seems concrete absorbs water and will expand in summer. That makes it hard to estimate gaps and spacing in the winter.

I did build the front door though:eek:

chris yount
04-08-2008, 9:37 AM
Chris, I found this site that may be helpful.http://www.designer-shed-plans.com/free_construction_guide.htm.
Chris

Chris Holder
04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks Chris! That site looks really helpful. I do have a son, but he's only 9 months old, so I don't think he's going to get to help with this one. Maybe in a few years we can start building together.

Mark Berenbrok
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I had the same problem and purchased plans for a 12 X 8 shed. It was the best $25 I've ever spent. SWMBO "highly suggested" that I make it bigger so I increased the length to 16'. That was a big improvement and the extra four feet make it much more user friendly. Hardiplank is great but can be a bear to work with. I ended up scoring it with a box cutter and straight edge. With shelves and storing lightweight stuff in the rafters, I'm surprised how much stuff can be fit into it.

Greg Narozniak
04-08-2008, 1:04 PM
That said, do check out the pre-built units or kits. Quite often you can put them in for the same or less money than building from scratch. You can still choose to do a slab or not, but a leveled layer of stone is usually sufficient for a storage shed with treated lumber on its base.

I agree with Jim. I was in the same situation when we moved into our new house 2 years ago. I wound up getting one from an Amish company in PA. It is 10 x 16 Vinyl Sided and it was $1700 + $300 delivery. Local Companies wanted over $2k for T111 sided units that size.

All I did was prep the pad with 4x6s and Stone and it was delivered and dropped right on the pad. Not worth building when that kind of price can be had. I would recheck what's available.

Oh and don't forget to check if a permit is required. In my town if your shed is over 8x8 you need a permit and a survey with it's location. If it is 8x8 or less then you do not and I could put it where ever I wanted and I could have as many of them as I wanted. So when I ask at the town hall, I can put 3 of these things on my front lawn and you cannot say a thing? He said Yup. Made absolutely no sense to me.

Then the inspector tells me that he has to inspect the tie downs. I say Tie Downs? He says yes they are required in the event of high winds. I say if the wind is high enough to move this 10 X 16 x 9 foot high shed the last thing I am worried about is where this shed is going. he laughed

Ted Jay
04-08-2008, 1:25 PM
Chris,
Also if your in a subdivision you'll want to get homeowners association approval and you usually have to be a certain distance away from property lines. It's easier to check now than move it later.
Of course if you live out in the country you may have more leeway.

I started what I thought was a "cover" to house the trailer and other implements out of the weather...... it has escalated from a cover to a.... well, see the pics, they're kinda self explanatory....:o

Anthony Fields
04-08-2008, 5:52 PM
Keep in mind your set back from the property lines. Here it's 4 ft from the back yard property line. On the side it's right to the line. Permit required for the 8 x 10, and it's $40.00. Now in the City where I own a house, there is no permit required. They got rid of the $25.00 fee. Go figure. Probably when I was the leader of our Neighborhood Assoc. and made a formal complaint to the City that shed permits or the fact that they made it so hard, encouraged backyards to become junkyards when people didn't have proper storage... oh well. Life still went on. :)

Rick Potter
04-09-2008, 2:18 AM
Chris,

I found a Tuff Shed I liked, and copied it. It cost me $700 Vs $2800. Mine is on a platform of pressure treated wood, and would be fine on gravel.

My hardest part was building the doors and keeping them warp free. I suggest that unless you need to park a tractor in there, consider buying a prehung 36" steel door at HD ($124). I just used these on two more sheds, and they are a real timesaver, and work fine.

Rick Potter

Keith Beck
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Keith, Sharp looking shed! I really like the design. The more you all mention it, the more I am thinking that I need to build this thing bigger. I'm considering now exactly how difficult it will be to move sprinkler heads around. I think I may have some shovel work in my future.

I'd say go as big as big as you can. The size of mine was constrained by how big I could go without having to get a permit. I also went with 8' walls, which gave me a lot of headroom that can be used for extra storage.

Keith

Chris Holder
04-15-2008, 1:46 PM
Chris,

I found a Tuff Shed I liked, and copied it. It cost me $700 Vs $2800. Mine is on a platform of pressure treated wood, and would be fine on gravel.

My hardest part was building the doors and keeping them warp free. I suggest that unless you need to park a tractor in there, consider buying a prehung 36" steel door at HD ($124). I just used these on two more sheds, and they are a real timesaver, and work fine.

Rick Potter

That's a good idea, Rick. I'll have to check those out.

Ben Cadotte
04-15-2008, 1:54 PM
I would suggest you build something with a loft. You will run out of storage and start keeping stuff in the shop agian if you don't. Most lumber yards will sell the gambriel storage shed trusses (walls and roof) for decent price. Trim it out nice and will look very good.