PDA

View Full Version : Need A Good Vector Shape

Barbara Buhse
04-05-2008, 6:29 PM
Does anyone have a good vecror shape I can use as a cutout on my business card? My card currently has great reastering but i would like to show off the vectoring too. A star just seems so simple... but something like that I can out in the corner...
maybe a tree? (obviously it has to be recognizeable if i cut it otu)

Thanks!

barbara

Keith Outten
04-05-2008, 8:01 PM
Barbara,

The Corel Drawing for the ultimate business card has been posted here awhile back. It is a drawing I received from Trotec that has a maze that cuts out of the middle of a star shape. Do a search for the file, if you can't find it let me know. Try Trotec Puzzle as your search words.

I found the file...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57502&highlight=trotec+puzzle

Barbara Buhse
04-05-2008, 8:58 PM
I have that, its great. I hadn't thought of using it though. I'll have to go back and see. My cards are laid out, excpet for the blank spot in the corner where I think there should be a little vector cutout.

Thanks for reminding me about that one.

Skip Weiser
04-05-2008, 9:23 PM
Barbara,

Here's a couple that might work. Not sure how small they have to be though. See what you think.

Skip

Dee Gallo
04-05-2008, 9:26 PM
Are you open to suggestions for other shapes? I find a lot of people are intrigued by 3-D letterforms, seeing what's not there, and your initials lend themselves to the pun, "B squared". Just a fun idea to consider.

cheers, dee

Barbara Buhse
04-06-2008, 7:29 PM
Thanks Skip. those are great. I will be using them for sure! I did manage to get one from another source and trace it manually to turn it into an outline. So, now I can have a few different designs.

Dee,
I LOVE that idea... although I am not going to use it for the wood card, I WILL be using it for my other business (my name is basically the "business name" on the other card)... thats so cool. I never thought of that before, and you're right, my initials do kind of invite that sort of logo!

Thanks everyone

Barbara

Dee Gallo
04-06-2008, 7:57 PM
Glad to be some help - I'm originally from the Island (south shore - Nassau county) so I feel doubly happy. I was hoping you used your name for your business , but you never know.

cheers, dee

Skip Weiser
04-06-2008, 9:24 PM
Glad I could help, Barbara.

Skip

Barbara Buhse
04-07-2008, 4:18 PM
Dee, I will be using my name for my new business (not the woodworking/engraving) so I thank you dearly. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get that look with the letters in Corel.
Where in Nassau County were you? I grew up in Valley Stream.

Dee Gallo
04-07-2008, 4:42 PM
Here are some choices for you: from fonts101(dot)com.

40 year old flashback: I'm from Freeport, and no one could be prouder...and if you can't hear me, I'll yell a little louder!

I hope your fingers were just flying and you're not really suing your name.

cheers, dee

Rodne Gold
04-07-2008, 4:51 PM
Can you post a pic of the card or the layout?
Whats your card made of?
Heres a pic of the shapes we use for all our Admin staff's cards that one shown is of an ex Rep of mine , she was amazing and made exeptional money and left us to follow some cad to england, he dumped her 3 months later!!!!!!

http://www.tokerbros.co.za/new%20pics/promo%203.jpg

Barbara Buhse
04-07-2008, 5:32 PM
As usual, my camera is not charged...

I don't know how to paste a thumbnail of the layout.

Barbara Buhse
04-07-2008, 5:34 PM
Here are some choices for you: from fonts101(dot)com.

40 year old flashback: I'm from Freeport, and no one could be prouder...and if you can't hear me, I'll yell a little louder!

I hope your fingers were just flying and you're not really suing your name.

cheers, dee

Freeport huh?... some of my best memories are riding the carousel at Nunleys!

Dee Gallo
04-07-2008, 5:52 PM
Barb-

I grew up right on the Baldwin/Freeport line. Nunley's...spent an awful lot of time there. Unfortunately, it's closed and the Stein & Goldstein carousel is now in a museum in Rockville Centre or somewhere. I still have a ring, though!:D

Craig Hogarth
04-07-2008, 7:36 PM
Try using a stencil font to cut out ENGRAVING. It really makes it stand out.

On a side note, I switched from wood to paper cards about 6 months ago and I actually get more business from the paper. While the WOW factor is not there, it allows me to be more liberal with my cards and I have more time to work on other projects. I pay $110 for 3000 cards, vs the 300 cards I would've gotten from wood.

Barbara Buhse
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I have some paper cards too, the wood cards are reserved for those that I feel will really follow up or will refer me to others. I do find that at craft shows if I have both out, (most) people will only take the wood one if they really intend on ordering something.

Dee Gallo
04-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I was intrigued by the Trotec puzzle thing, the whole discussion on adding vector cutting to your card and thought I would try to make a new card for myself too. Here is the result of some design tests on a mat board scrap.

Brian Robison
04-23-2008, 2:37 PM
Barbara,
I haven't done any business cards this way yet but I've done name tags.
I cut them in the shape of Tn. New York may be a little harder because of Long Island but I think it would work from laser engravable plastic. The brushed silver and brushed gold work very well for this.
Just a thought.

Barbara Buhse
04-24-2008, 5:43 PM
Brian,
thats a great idea.... as a matter of fact, I would probably do JUST Long Island, since thats where I am. :)