PDA

View Full Version : First photo - first hollowform

Randy Hoch
04-05-2008, 4:51 PM
Hopefully this'll work:
Hollowform is Box Elder finished w/ antique oil and buffed.
3.75X4.5 inches
Dings are from losing the "handle" during buffing. :o
Thanks for your collective help.

Randy

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2008, 5:01 PM
Don't ya just love Boxelder when it's got all that color in it? Nice HF!!! :)

Ron McKinley
04-05-2008, 5:14 PM
Nice work. I've lost the "handle" a few times when buffing but now I have a nice soft bed under the buffing wheel. It's saved quite a few items! ....Ron

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2008, 5:46 PM
Nice first HF Randy. Make sure you keep it to compare with a couple of years down the road.

Eugene Malone
04-05-2008, 6:11 PM
Hi Randy, nice piece of work design looks great to me, We dont get that wood over here in Ireland, at least I havent seen it . I think the nearest I've seen is Spalted Sycamore .
Well done , Hope to copy it some day this week, keep 'em coming. Regards Eugene.

Tom Sherman
04-05-2008, 7:01 PM
Nice job Randy, great wood and form.

Scott Donley
04-05-2008, 7:34 PM
I like it ! Tools used ?

Fred Conte
04-05-2008, 8:02 PM
Very nice Randy for your first! I like the shape and wood tones!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2008, 8:44 PM
Nice first HF Randy! I've lost the handle on a couple of projects while buffing. It took me couple of minutes to locate them after they bounced around the shop for a period of time!

Randy Hoch
04-05-2008, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Scott, I used a couple of bowl gouges for the outside and a Sorby hollowmaster for the inside. (with the cutter - I could not for the life of me find the scraper attachment.)
Here's another view. I'm still having problems with tearout. I thought things looked ok until the finish was on!! Still working on my sharpening and tool control.

Randy Hoch

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2008, 8:51 PM
Nice hollow form Randy! The first one is always the hardest cause you don't really know what to expect. It gets easier - the more you do but be forewarned - they are addicting! Have fun with it and keep up the good work!

Ben Gastfriend
04-06-2008, 9:24 AM
It looks great. That's some really nice wood, and a pleasure to turn. What I've done is got a big shipping box, filled it with woodshavings (I don't have a shortage of those) and placed it right under the buffing wheel.