PDA

View Full Version : Wixey Planer Gauge-Grizzly 1021X

Lance Norris
04-05-2008, 4:47 PM
Here are pics of my install of the Wixey Planer Gauge on my Grizzly 1021X. I used 26ga. sheet metal and simply bent a bracket around the post. Where you see the 2 screws, there are existing holes in the planer head. I dont know what thread they are, but its a common size because I had the screws. Behind the readout, there is one screw at the top of the bracket. I used the drill bit and self tapping screw that comes in the planer gauge kit. I also used a rare earth magnet on the foot at the bottom of the scale, to help it return back down, after being raised. It was a pretty easy install, took about 2 hours. After installing this kit, I calibrated it, and tried it out. It works perfectly, and I am really going to enjoy using it. I could never hit the thickness I was trying to get to before, but now its simply just a turn of the handle, and an eye on the readout, away. I hope this helps somebody.

Dave Verstraete
04-05-2008, 9:53 PM
Lance
Thanks for the pics. I've been thinking about putting it on my G0453. Looks relatively easy?? Since I am a machinist, it ought to be a breeze. Oops, there goes the jinx out of the box!

Lance Norris
04-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Dave... its a great upgrade. There are pictures of a 453, with the gauge, on Wixeys websight. You wont have any trouble mounting it on yours.

Jerry White
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Lance, it looks like a great job. Simple and rugged. I was hitting a mental barrier trying to adapt a square bracket to fit somewhere. Although I had been eyeing those threaded holes, also.

Thanks for sharing!

Jerry