PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple

Hilel Salomon
04-05-2008, 4:03 PM
Sorry to Deluge you with these, but I did want to add some comments about the spalted cherry and show you some of the ambrosia maple stuff I turned.
The cherry came from a very large tree which an arborist friend cut down for another friend with the proviso that I cut the logs up. I'm almost finished with all the Cherry, which I had stored in my basement. Most of it spalted and I'm guessing that I've made about 100 bowls and platters out of that tree. The smaller ones I give to my eldest granddaughter and the larger ones I give to friends. A sawmill in Virginia gave me a large beetle infested maple and I love working on that wood as well. Unfortunately, I let the wood sit without putting anything on it, and it has cracked considerably. The good news is that coffee grinds and either ca or epoxy tends to blend well with the ambrosia markings.
Here are two of them. Criticism is deserved and welcome.
I'm now headed to the VA mountains I love dearly.
Regards, Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2008, 5:57 PM
Hilel two more beauties. Beautiful ambrosia. Well done my friend.

Eugene Malone
04-05-2008, 6:40 PM
Lovely pieces, I've just been reading an article in aa Woodturning magazine and it has pictures of a turner picking Grubs from the wood that he is turning, he reckons the holes will add to the overall features of the piece, I didnt see any finished photos yet. Regards Eugene.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2008, 9:06 PM
Nice work Hilel! Beautiful wood!

Ben Gastfriend
04-06-2008, 9:20 AM
I love ambrosia. And your bowls look great. You have to just love how that wood turns and looks.

Hilel Salomon
04-08-2008, 8:57 AM
I've seen enough to know that you were being ultra kind and generous, but I am touched and grateful.
Regards, Hilel

Glenn Hodges
04-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for posting these 2. I have only glowing remarks for these.

Darren Ford
04-08-2008, 1:14 PM
Those are very nice. What finish did you use? I have some ambrosia maple planks but do not like the natural contrast. I love what you have done here to the lighter wood to tone that down. Beautiful.

robert hainstock
04-08-2008, 4:00 PM
I especially like the first bowl. Those verical sides are sooo cool. :):)
Bob

Joseph Peacock
04-08-2008, 8:19 PM
Cool bowl!;)