PDA

View Full Version : Jet Jointer / Planer

Steven DeMars
04-05-2008, 2:32 PM
OK, I did it. Ordered a JET Jointer / Planer from Marchands in New Orleans with Eric and the JET Representative . . . .:o

They were having their tool show they do twice a year . . . .

So no one can say anything bad about the JET J/P until I get mine ! ! !:p

It never fails, anytime I buy a piece of equipment, the next day a better model with more bells and whistles comes out or one that corrects 10+ problems with the existing model that I have just bought.:mad:

Curt Harms
04-05-2008, 5:20 PM
So no one can say anything bad about the JET J/P until I get mine ! ! !:p

Hi Steven

I think you'll be happy with it. I think Jointer/Planers are a nice solution for compact shops. The changeover is not an issue for me; moving jointer & planer around were more of a PITA than changing from jointer to planer and back. The only glitch I've found is the dust hood. I believe I posted the final resolution. The door that flips was riding up while in planer mode. Jet sent me a new hood which didn't really help. What I did find is while flipping the hood with vacuum on it, the door will not flip into planer position but will stay mostly in jointer position. Dust/chip collection doesn't work well. The fix is to not have suction on the hood when flipping it. Turn the D.C. off, disconnect the hose, close the blast gate, whatever. I also found that I could reach up into the hood and pull the door down while under vacuum. Once down, it stayed down and worked as advertised.

Except for that issue, I'm well pleased with mine. Keep an eye on Amazon, I found a set of Freud knives for $39.00. I haven't needed knives yet but I wanted to have a spare set on hand.

Curt

P.S. there's one other need. I had a Delta 22-580 planer and it had a depth stop that was handy. Am I the only one who finds they need one more piece planed the same thickness as several others that were planed days ago?:o Didn't think so:). I doubt the Wixey 6" planer gauges now available would work on the Jet J/P due to the need to lower the table about to 6 1/8" in order to swing the dust hood. Wixey is working on a 12" unit that should be available around the end of the year.