PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to the Houston WW Show?

Dick Sylvan
04-05-2008, 1:37 PM
Was it worth going?

Derek Hansen
04-05-2008, 2:09 PM
I had a great time...it was my first show though. Picked up a few reconditioned Ridgid tools, and some Grr-Rippers.

Brian Erickson
04-05-2008, 3:13 PM
The local home show here in Evansville has a reconditioned Ridgid booth, it looks like they're selling refurbished jointers for around $250. What did you pick up Ridgid-wise? Look like good stuff?
Brian

Derek Hansen
04-05-2008, 4:34 PM
I got the jointer for $269 and the oscillating spindle/belt sander for $129.

They also had the 14" bandsaw for $249, and the 13" planer w/stand (TP1300 model) for $229.

David Giles
04-05-2008, 5:29 PM
Went yesterday with a friend and found it a pleasant way to spend a Friday afternoon. Some previous companies were absent, notably Minimax, Jointech and Woodpeckers. The veneer guys were gone as well. But some new companies showed up including Laguna and Brazos Forest Products. Brazos sells prefinished plywood, laminate coated plywood and raw lumber. They quoted $55/sheet for prefinished birch which seems reasonable and about $1.80/BF for plain sawn red oak which is cheaper than local mill prices. Free delivery with a $300 order which doesn't take much. So I'm going to give them my next lumber order.

Jerry White
04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I attended the show today. The show area appeared to be significantly reduced from that in recent years. As was said above, several vendors that have been prominent in past shows were notably absent. The attendance seemed also to be below the norm.

However, I did enjoy the show.....also spent more money than I expected. Woodcraft had the Sawstop Contractor Saw on display, demonstrating it, including the hot dog maneuver. Porter Cable was displaying and demonstrating the new Omni-Jig. Kreg had a large presence. Lee Valley had a booth (a first for Houston, I think). The Cutting Edge had displays of Festool, Steel City, PowerMatic, and Jet equipment. Lie Nielsen, Sommerville, Circle Saw, Forest, Ridged, and Peachtree all were there. I did not take time to sample the instructional presentations.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable show. I'm glad I went.

Richard Link
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I also went this year and compared to last year. I agree that it was a bit smaller in scope this year and some of the high end vendors were gone (i.e. Incra). On the other hand, it was a very enjoyable experience and the seminars were better (IMHO). I understand that the whole shootin match is now under new management and that they are working to make some changes and upgrades in future years. I would love to see an even greater emphasis on seminars, classes, etc. On the other hand, its really not that expensive and I'm happy to support it while we see what changes are in store to come.