PDA

View Full Version : New name for loose tenons

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I find that when I call a Domino or other loose tenon by their proper name, the average public gets the wrong idea. People think loose means something not as good. So I want propose a new name. Let's call it a double mortise tenon. Makes it sound better don't you think? :D

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2008, 12:33 PM
"tenonus detachus"?

Daviuni Foshiyoro

Carl Fox
04-05-2008, 12:37 PM
biscuit tenon

Bill Wyko
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I have to agree with Eric, I think there needs to be change. We can campaign on change:D :eek:Also because he's at the computer behind me.:D

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2008, 12:49 PM
"Free floating double-end penetrated connecting unit"

Davisato Masaforuni

Jeff Duncan
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Would that be confused with a joint where you have a double mortise on one piece and a double tenon on the other?

JeffD

Al Willits
04-05-2008, 12:57 PM
For the average public....connector
For the average public engineer....connector thingie

Al...yes I'm at work and bored.....:D

Ellen Benkin
04-05-2008, 1:07 PM
Are you in marketing?

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2008, 2:07 PM
Are you in marketing?

No, but someone once told me that words do not convey meanings, they conjur them.

I found that when I told potential customers that I would use loose tenons, I had to explain what that that they are good. "Loose" just conjured the wrong impression.

Peter Quadarella
04-05-2008, 2:18 PM
You could just call them mortise and tenon joints. Loose tenons could be considered a type of tenon ;).

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2008, 2:22 PM
Actually, if you don't like "loose" they are also called "floating tenons"....

Yoshid Dekuniforo

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2008, 2:37 PM
Actually, if you don't like "loose" they are also called "floating tenons"....

Yoshid Dekuniforo

My BIL and I talked about this last night and believe me, I do not have any problem with the proper industry terminology. But we thought about floating and figure it has the same effect. "What! floating? It ain't going to sink, is it"? :rolleyes:

fRED mCnEILL
04-05-2008, 2:44 PM
I'm sure that you could come up with something more "politically correct" than loose. I mean, look at all the people that would degrade.

Yup. "pcp" is definately important.

Fred Mc.

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2008, 2:57 PM
"But we thought about floating and figure it has the same effect."

Well if you are concerned about psychology, you could call them "free" tenons. Then people would think they were getting something extra....

Damato Yomoforo

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2008, 3:00 PM
"But we thought about floating and figure it has the same effect."

Well if you are concerned about psychology, you could call them "free" tenons. Then people would think they were getting something extra....

Damato Yomoforo

LOL :D You have something there. ;)

Carl Fox
04-05-2008, 3:34 PM
how about relaxed tenons?

jim oakes
04-05-2008, 3:48 PM
I like "double mortise tenon".
It is a more accurate description. There is nothing loose or floating when you glue a tenon into two mortises.

However to be politically correct how about a" free range ,never caged tenon joint"
And no I'm not in marketing(currently)but I'm sure you can see my potential.

Vince Shriver
04-05-2008, 4:43 PM
How about "two way tenons", or "bi-lateral tenons" or "fitted tenons"

Phil Thien
04-05-2008, 5:00 PM
"Two female/single male combination"

Rick de Roque
04-05-2008, 5:19 PM

If I told my wife that she would make me sell my Domino :eek::D

Rick

Eric Gustafson
04-05-2008, 5:21 PM

I have a million things I'd like to say to that, but this is a family forum. :o

Cody Colston
04-05-2008, 5:32 PM
Do your customers want to know your joinery methods? If they do, just tell them mortise and tenon. If they ask "integral or loose tenons?" then they know enought to not be concerned about any negative connotations associated with the term.

Jason Beam
04-05-2008, 5:38 PM
Well if you don't like to call 'em loose tenons ... i suggest you use the clinical term:

Promiscuous Tenons.

Brian Effinger
04-05-2008, 6:31 PM

Well if you don't like to call 'em loose tenons ... i suggest you use the clinical term:

Promiscuous Tenons.

Hehehehe... I like those. The ménage à trois of woodworking. :D

Mike Henderson
04-05-2008, 6:38 PM
Yep, ménage à trois tenons sounds good to me. That should be conversation starter.

Mike

Dave Falkenstein
04-05-2008, 6:53 PM
I find that when I call a Domino or other loose tenon by their proper name, the average public gets the wrong idea. People think loose means something not as good....

Does the average person know what a tenon or mortise is and/or why they make good joints? Just tell folks you make stuff with really good joints that last a very long time. They will understand that.

Scott Vigder
04-05-2008, 7:05 PM
Does the average person know what a tenon or mortise is and/or why they make good joints? Just tell folks you make stuff with really good joints that last a very long time. They will understand that.

Agreed, but some folks have a completely different take on "really good joints that last a long time" :D.

Bryan Berguson
04-05-2008, 7:54 PM
It's a "double glued" tenon or a "doglut" for short. That ought to impress someone.:rolleyes:

Bryan

Peter Quinn
04-05-2008, 8:51 PM
I've seen my share of really good joints that last a long time but thats usually reserved for non working hours....uh...did I say that out loud.

LOML tells me I tend to offer clients more information than they need. Makes em all confused, their eyes start to glaze over, things get weird. I've adopted a 'Don't ask don't tell' policy...If they don't ask, I don't tell. They have to beat the details out of me at this point.

I actually refered to them once as 'A double slot mortise with adjustable width applied tenon'. That many words seems to confuse the average non-woodworker enough that the only thing they remember is Mortise.....and....tenon.....:eek:

Matt Ocel
04-05-2008, 9:51 PM
Mechanical tenon fastener.

Dats my $.02 worth!

Mike Cutler
04-06-2008, 8:26 AM
Eric

I would just tell them that you use "Traditional Mortise and Tenon Joinery".

The "Loose", Floating",or "Non- Integral Tenon" has been in use for centuries all over the world.

It's niether a lie, an exercise in semantics, nor a deception. The floating tenon is an accepted M&T joint in every joinery book I have.

Steven Bolton
04-06-2008, 9:12 AM
Freedom tenons?

SB

Jamie Buxton
04-06-2008, 9:20 AM
You could call them splines. You wouldn't be inventing any new words, and you wouldn't be lying. I occasionally call biscuits splines if I think somebody cares.

J. Z. Guest
04-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm all for calling them mortise & tenon. Whether loose or integral, you're still telling the truth.