PDA

View Full Version : My new gloat......

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I've reached that stage in life where if I think of something I'd better do it right then or I may or probably will forget it. Recently I left my shop...walked 40' to the backdoor of the house.......cleaned my shoes on the mat outside the backdoor ...entered the house and I'd forgotten what I came into the house to get for use in the shop......5 TIMES...I made that trip......the 6th time I remembered long enough to get what I was after....

Yesterday after reading Keith's post about the CNC machine and the shop vac and the resultant fire I remembered I still didn't have a fire extinguisher in my new shop. So..I made some calls around town and drove to a local hardware store, purchased and installed inside the walk-in door of my shop a 10# dry chemical ABC ...UL listed fire extinguisher.....I have a dear friend who I have worked on fundraising for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, committees for the Idaho Wildlife Federation and Lewis-Clark Wildlife Club. I've elk hunted with him, fished moutain lakes and streams with him.....celebrated birthdays and wedding anniversaries with him....and he just happens to be my insurance agent. He's not seen my shop but he wants to badly. With the recent shop projects and now the addition of the fire extinguisher, I think I can finally let him through the door.:D

Alan Tolchinsky
04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Ken, Great move with the fire extinguisher. I have the same problem remembering just like you. I try to look at it with a sense of humor. It usually happens when I start thinking about other things when I'm going to get something. So I guess you just have to keep your mind on what you're going to get and don't let it wander. :) Now if you can do that let me know.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Sounds like the stunt I pulled. Walked out of the house, locked and closed the door, walked around to my pickup door, went "Phooey" and went back into the house and got what I meant to get.

Got back in the pickup, started it, backed halfway down the driveway and went, " ****, Phooey again." Drove back up, parked, went in the house, and got the other thing. Got back in the pickup, backed down the driveway, drove a block and went, " ------- ". Left the phooies off and substituted more descriptive terms. Made the block back to the house and got the third thing.

The fourth time I left out I made an effort to not to think of anything else.

Trouble is, this was three or four years ago. :o

---------------------

On the fire extinguishers, a friend attended an auction of a company's branch shutting down here in town. They sold a number of fire extinguishers singly for $20-40 apiece, depending on what they were. Then after a half day and at the tail end of the auction after nearly everyone had gone home they brought out a lot of six assorted ones. He got the lot for $20. Gloat.

Don Bullock
04-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Great move Ken. There was a thread about fire extinguishers in the shop a few months ago and I bought two right after I read that post. There was also a thread recently on a first aide kit in the shop so I added one of those as well. I hope that I never have to use any of them. Having a telephone in the shop is another good idea that I plan to add if my new shop project ever gets off the ground.

As for the problem of remembering what you were planning to do or "may or probably will forget it" I know that we all have that problem at times and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with our age. I've been doing that most of my life. I think as we get older it's a phenomenon that seems more prominent because we're more aware of it. As we get older that problem sure gets more frustrating at times too.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Great move Ken. There was a thread about fire extinguishers in the shop a few months ago and I bought two right after I read that post. There was also a thread recently on a first aide kit in the shop so I added one of those as well. I hope that I never have to use any of them. Having a telephone in the shop is another good idea that I plan to add if my new shop project ever gets off the ground.

As for the problem of remembering what you were planning to do or "may or probably will forget it" I know that we all have that problem at times and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with our age. I've been doing that most of my life. I think as we get older it's a phenomenon that seems more prominent because we're more aware of it. As we get older problem sure gets more frustrating at times too.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

First Aid Kit.......I'd better make some calls......Thanks for reminding me!