PDA

View Full Version : Business Card Holder

Glenn Clabo
03-26-2004, 4:50 PM
My wife is about to finish up her Ph.D. RN so I decided to make her something she could use. I took a piece of walnut burl and made her a business card holder.

Keith and his amazing laser engraved it so I wanted to post this right away before I screw it up. There is now one coat of oil on it and I don’t think it will need much more.

A big THANK YOU Keith!

Ken Garlock
03-26-2004, 5:14 PM
Congratulations to your wife upon her rising to the top of her profession. :) :)

The card stand looks very professional, and I bet it will occupy a prominent place in her office.

Now let me see, as I recall a PhD stood for piled higher and deeper. Does that mean she can stack bed pans higher than the regular RN's? :D But seriously, she has worked hard and earned the title. Once again, congratulations to her.

Wolf Kiessling
03-26-2004, 6:08 PM
My wife is about to finish up her Ph.D. RN so I decided to make her something she could use. I took a piece of walnut burl and made her a business card holder.

Keith and his amazing laser engraved it so I wanted to post this right away before I screw it up. There is now one coat of oil on it and I don’t think it will need much more.

A big THANK YOU Keith!

Congrats to your wife.

That card holder will do those Ph.D cards proud. It shows your Ph.D in woodworking

Todd Burch
03-26-2004, 6:13 PM
Great job Glenn! Having earned a PhD RN, do we have to call her Doctor Nurse Clabo? :)

Stan Smith
03-26-2004, 6:49 PM
:cool: Way cool!

Tyler Howell
03-26-2004, 7:23 PM
I dated a Dr Nurse. She was a wild woman....And very smart!

Jim Becker
03-26-2004, 7:32 PM
Very nice, Glenn, including the design. I really like the "tab" at the top. Great detail.

And welcome to the "Dr. SWMBO" crowd! :D

Ernie Kuhn
03-26-2004, 7:39 PM
I dated a Dr Nurse. She was a wild woman....And very smart!

Tyler,
I'm curious. Is "dated" past tense because she was a wild woman or very smart?
Just joking. I couldn't resist.

Ernie

Bill Grumbine
03-26-2004, 7:57 PM
Very nice Glenn, and your wife is to be congratulated. I do have a question though. Once she receives her PhD RN, does that make her Dr. Nurse? :D

Arrggh! I posted this and then I see that Burch beat me to it!

Bill

Ron McNeil
03-26-2004, 8:37 PM
Glenn, very nice job on the card holder and stand. Also, Congratulations to your wife for a great accomplishment in her life.

Tyler Howell
03-26-2004, 8:50 PM
Tyler,
I'm curious. Is "dated" past tense because she was a wild woman or very smart?
Just joking. I couldn't resist.

Ernie
You weren't joking Ernie! :oBut you are right!:eek: Career first. Boy toy second.;) I feel so used!!! just another tool in her work shop.:rolleyes:

Sorry Glenn, Congrats to the Dr Nurse.

Jim Becker
03-26-2004, 8:54 PM
Career first. Boy toy second.

I assure you that Dr. SWMBO will confirm that..."house boy" is an honorable profession around here!

Rob Bourgeois
03-26-2004, 9:45 PM
I assure you that Dr. SWMBO will confirm that..."house boy" is an honorable profession around here!

Shoot my Dr. SWMBO has me being Mr. Mom. At least I get good toys for the shop...now if I only had a bit more shop space.

Honestly...it was my choice, since the jobs around here were not really anythign I wanted to do...hard for a degree in Marine Biology to get much use in Northern Mississippi.

Glenn Clabo
03-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the complements. You can't tell from the picture but it's actually a card holder (that's why theres the tag) that flips open and rotates to be a card stand. I'll send more pictures to better explain when a certain someone isn't around.

To answer the Dr./Nurse question...which is pretty common btw. In the last 7 years I've had significant interface with both professions...and believe me I've had my eyes opened.

The common short name for a Medical Doctor (M.D.) is Dr. which is mostly an undergraduate degree equal to somewhere between a baccalaureate (BS)and masters degree (MS). The short name for a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is also Dr. but it's as high a degree as you can get. Yes my wife is way smart...and VERY dedicated to a VERY important profession. And has worked VERY hard to be able to smile when someone says it means...Pile it Higher and Deeper.

One of the most misunderstood professions is that of a nurse. One of my favorite questions is ... What is a nurses job? Most common answer...They work for doctors and do whatever they tell them to do. The truth is...and anyone who has ever been sick should know...they are very different professions. The nurses and the MDs do VERY different things. Drs are in the medical profession...nurses in the health care profession. Drs get much more respect than nurses for many reseasons other than their importance to your overall health. Nurses get very little respect...even though the vast majority of your care is done by a nurse. You may see a Dr. for 5 minutes a day...the information he/she gets and all your care is given by a nurse.

I could go on...as you can tell I'm proud of what she does...but....

And Tyler...you're also right. :D

Here's a quick shot...ambient light...what it looks like closed. It holds about 10 cards.

Jim Becker
03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
The common short name for a Medical Doctor (M.D.) is Dr. which is mostly an undergraduate degree equal to somewhere between a baccalaureate (BS)and masters degree (MS). The short name for a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is also Dr. but it's as high a degree as you can get.

Ah, yes...and there is that other one...the one that my Dr. SWMBO has: DSci (Doctor of Science) which is similar to the PhD, but different. :D 'Still has that "Dr" title, though. 'Drives her nuts when folks assume she has a PhD, however...:eek: I can understand that since I often have to respond with a smile to, "Mr. Evans". :cool:

Seriously, Glenn, I'm glad you're proud of your wife. She's accomplished a lot through a huge amount of real, hard work. Congratulations to your both!

Walt Pater
03-27-2004, 5:53 AM
Congrats to you and yours, Glen. My wife received her VMD (not DVM) from Univ. of Penn several years ago, and loves her career in veterinary medicine. I hope that you were able to avoid a six-figure student loan debt. By the way, what does SWMBO stand for? And hey- nice card holder.

Glenn Clabo
03-27-2004, 6:26 AM
Walt,
I've never met a group of people who are so in love with their job than those in veterinary medicine. And as a dog lover with 2 labs...we ahve a special relationship.

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed ... Which my wife hates worse than "The Wife".

Glenn Clabo
03-27-2004, 6:38 AM
Jim...
It's so confusing. Especially if you're like me...I graduated from the school of hard knocks. My wife says I'm the poster boy for A.D.D. so I've never been able to concentrate on one thing long enough to get the paper. I've done real well in the responsibility/professional success department...but I did it all the hard way. Not recommended btw.

Jim Becker
03-27-2004, 9:18 AM
I'm the poster boy for A.D.D.

And in the class picture, that's me just to the right of you...at least these days! :D

Mark Singer
03-27-2004, 9:31 AM
Great job! and Congradulations!!!

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Glen
May I pass along my Congratulations to your wife - what an accomplishment.
I am only one step higher than B.S. and am happy to be a M.S. or "more of the same" as I had attained more BS than most BSers.
Daniel
:D

Boyd Gathwright
03-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Glenn,

That is a nice piece of WORK.

Boyd :)

A big THANK YOU Keith!

Jason Tuinstra
03-31-2004, 9:54 AM
Glen, congrats to your wife. That is one of the finest card holders I've seen. The laser did wonders with the engraving. Nice picture as well.

Alan Tolchinsky
03-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Glenn, I have a lot of respect for nurses and think sometimes they are more important than the doctors. A seasoned nurse will know disease symptoms and treatment as well as some of the doctors. As everybody knows we need more nurses; it's a very honorable profession. I am a doctor(D.M.D.) and I congratlulate your wife.

Alan in Md.

Thanks for all the complements. You can't tell from the picture but it's actually a card holder (that's why theres the tag) that flips open and rotates to be a card stand. I'll send more pictures to better explain when a certain someone isn't around.

To answer the Dr./Nurse question...which is pretty common btw. In the last 7 years I've had significant interface with both professions...and believe me I've had my eyes opened.

The common short name for a Medical Doctor (M.D.) is Dr. which is mostly an undergraduate degree equal to somewhere between a baccalaureate (BS)and masters degree (MS). The short name for a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is also Dr. but it's as high a degree as you can get. Yes my wife is way smart...and VERY dedicated to a VERY important profession. And has worked VERY hard to be able to smile when someone says it means...Pile it Higher and Deeper.

One of the most misunderstood professions is that of a nurse. One of my favorite questions is ... What is a nurses job? Most common answer...They work for doctors and do whatever they tell them to do. The truth is...and anyone who has ever been sick should know...they are very different professions. The nurses and the MDs do VERY different things. Drs are in the medical profession...nurses in the health care profession. Drs get much more respect than nurses for many reseasons other than their importance to your overall health. Nurses get very little respect...even though the vast majority of your care is done by a nurse. You may see a Dr. for 5 minutes a day...the information he/she gets and all your care is given by a nurse.

I could go on...as you can tell I'm proud of what she does...but....

And Tyler...you're also right. :D

Here's a quick shot...ambient light...what it looks like closed. It holds about 10 cards.