PDA

View Full Version : union plane type?

Glenn Shotwell
04-04-2008, 8:15 PM
Any Union plane experts want to share what they might be able to assess from this picture of a Union plane?

Are there any websites that are dedicated to Union planes to help find out how to know what year or type they are?

Jim Koepke
04-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Is it one you own or one you a thinking of buying?

I was trying to determine if the blade is from before 1920 when Union Plane Co. was bought by Stanley. The pre 1920 blades are thicker than what Stanley used. I am not sure when, but before the blades were marked Union Plane Co. they were marked Union Mfg. Co. The plane division was separated and sold to Stanley. I do not know of type studies on these.

The tote does not seem to match the knob. It may be a replacement.
As I recall, Union did not use rosewood, they used mahogany or other hardwoods.

That is about all I know and I am not sure if that is accurate. My father gave me a Union #4 that he was not sure if it was his father's or if it was his grandfather's plane. So I did a little research and that is about all I could find.

They are good planes, but the depth adjuster works in the opposite direction of those on Stanley planes after type 6. The lateral adjuster also works opposite to the Stanley lateral adjuster.

jim

Steve Rozmiarek
04-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm not a Union expert, but I can tell you that the knob is wrong. Unabashed Stanley knockoffs mostly as far as I know. I do buy the vertical adjuster type when they show up, although I have no good reason to like them better. Bob Kaune lists a few always, here is the link:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/union.htm

It may be helpful to compare your's to his. I bet someone has done an in depth study on Union, but I don't know who.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2008, 11:00 PM
http://www.toolemera.com/Trade%20Catalogs/vintagetradecatc.html

There are catalogs here as .pdf downloads.

About the third one down is for Union Planes.

The parent site: http://www.toolemera.com/ is also of interest for a lot more information.

Glenn Shotwell
04-04-2008, 11:02 PM
No Jim, Not yet anyway!

So I don't have anymore pictures and the seller can't provide anymore.

Stanley bought out Union right? I might be wrong but I think I read that Stanley continued make them with the Union name for a few years.

I pretty much thought the knob was wrong, the shape looks about right from that site you posted but the color is wrong and looks more like a modern coloring.

Can you tell anything from the adjusting knob or the frog?

Jim Koepke
04-04-2008, 11:28 PM
No Jim, Not yet anyway!

So I don't have anymore pictures and the seller can't provide anymore.

Stanley bought out Union right? I might be wrong but I think I read that Stanley continued make them with the Union name for a few years.

I pretty much thought the knob was wrong, the shape looks about right from that site you posted but the color is wrong and looks more like a modern coloring.

Can you tell anything from the adjusting knob or the frog?

Not really. I mentioned that the tote looked like a replacement because the knob looks a lot like mine. Stanley used their blades in the planes after they bought the company. I have seen a lot of Union Planes with SW blades for sale.

They may have started to use their own rosewood totes as the Union tote supply ran out.

The Union catalog mentions that their blades are thicker than other makers. I like the feel of the Union plane and for the longest time did not like the Stanley #4s that were in my shop. That was before I learned to tune a plane. Of course, now with a Hock iron in one of my Stanley #4s, it feels good compared to the #4 with the regular Stanley blade.

It is interesting that a Stanley blade will work in a Union Plane, but because the slot is narrower on the Union blade, it will not sit right in a Stanley plane.

jim

Glenn Shotwell
04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks Jim, good info I did not know about the blades. That sounds like a good feature. But if it has the Sweetheart blade, oh well. It is good to hear you like your #4 Union. I'm trying to get a few planes so I can start getting some hands-on experience with them. But cost is a factor for me right now. Union planes don't go for the higher prices of the Stanley counterparts. Union made planes under other names also, yes? Check this Van Camp auction that ended: 190209859563 . It has the Union lever for sure. I'm learning so don't quote me. I'm using this site for reference: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

Steve, do you have a picture of the vertical adjuster that you can share?

Clint Jones
04-05-2008, 12:10 AM
I have just been sitting back to see what others would say. It is an early type of union. It should say Union and the number in front of the tote. It should have a plain lever cap with nothing on it. The blade should be a tad thicker than a stanley of the same vintage. The next type of union will say nothing on the bed, have UNION on the cap, and the bed shape will change a bit to resemble stanley planes. The last of the Unions will say the number on the toe ie. No. 3 and the cap will say union. The last of the planes will have Stanley SW blades until stanley stopped making the Union planes. It is definately pre stanley buy out. It is a good plane probably as good or better than a stanley of the same vintage. There will be no frog adjuster. I believe the knob and tote are original there just has been more wear to the knob.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks Jim, good info I did not know about the blades. That sounds like a good feature. But if it has the Sweetheart blade, oh well. It is good to hear you like your #4 Union. I'm trying to get a few planes so I can start getting some hands-on experience with them. But cost is a factor for me right now. Union planes don't go for the higher prices of the Stanley counterparts. Union made planes under other names also, yes? Check this Van Camp auction that ended: 190209859563 . It has the Union lever for sure. I'm learning so don't quote me. I'm using this site for reference: http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

Good reference site.

One thing I like about the Stanley planes is parts are plentiful. Also, with mostly one brand of plane, all the adjusters and such are mostly the same from type 7 and later. I can get a replacement tote or knob post for a Stanley. Getting one for another brand may be more difficult.

I think Stanley may have made Lakeside planes. I had one I gave to a friend. I should go look at the lateral adjuster sometime when visiting her.

jim