PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a blade donation

Mike Gregory
04-04-2008, 7:17 PM
Hey all,
I am in the design phase of building a machine that will cut the earth and sew the associated wire in the ground for an invisible dog fence. I have a couple acres to do, so by hand is not an option. I am thinking that If I can get my hands on an old (scrap) 10" or preferrably 12" saw blade, I can put it in line with a wider straight blade then followed by a pipe that then threads the wire into the freshly cut groove. The saw blade would cut thorugh the thatch and grass roots with a thin kerf cut into the dirt. The wider blade would be about 3/8" to a 1/2" wide and act like a farmers plow and cut the kerf a little wider so the pipe will fit. The whole thing would be pulled by my lawn tractor. I've see the (very expensive) pro's use a modified roter-tiller with a similar pipe attachment threding the wire into the ground. If anyone has an old blade that they could offer up, I'd be happy to cover shipping. Please let me know.
Thanks,
Mike Gregory

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2008, 7:20 PM
Mike......they already make a machine that cuts and run's sprinkler line. I'll be it could be used run your dog perimeter wire too!

Dave Verstraete
04-04-2008, 7:23 PM
Mike
U Rent It or equivalent stores usually have a "pipe puller" like Ken described that you can rent.

Steven DeMars
04-04-2008, 7:37 PM
Use a pro model edger. Change the pulleys so you have more power than revolutions. Clamp round 2lb to 3lb weight in blade. This is what I saw a guy doing that installs dog fence. He used a thin two edge blade.:o

Joe Chritz
04-04-2008, 7:41 PM
I use an edger and it works great. You still have to tuck the wire in but the "trench" can be closed up with a foot and it is nearly invisible immediately.

I have also buried lines like that with a half moon shaped hand edger but that takes a long time for any distance.

Joe

Tom Walz
04-04-2008, 8:11 PM
We have some really good, cheap 10" x 40 tooth carbide tipped ATB blades.
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/level2store/Reallygoodcheapblades/page6.html

It is a one time, special price deal. I'll make you a deal. I'll send you two free and pay for the shipping if you will write a little story about your machine with a couple pictures. I'll use it to show how well the blades stand up.

I'll get a nice little advertising stoy and you'll get your blades. Plus we'll have some fun.

Send the shipping info privately and we'll work it out.

Have a good weekend.

Tom

Mike Gregory
04-04-2008, 9:07 PM
Tom,
Wow! I just wanted a blade that was at the end of it's useful life but I really like your offer much better. I'd be happy to do a write-up on the blades & I'll send info to you in a pm. Thanks.

Mike