PDA

View Full Version : Where to find fence/depth stop for a Stanley #78?

David Tiell
04-04-2008, 5:13 PM
Recently got a decent older Stanley #78, but it doesn't have the depth stop or fence. Any suggestions as to where to buy one for less than the cost of buying another plane?

Thanks,

Dave

Brian Hale
04-04-2008, 5:48 PM
Highland Woodworking sells all kinds of replacement parts for planes....

Brian :)

Billy Chambless
04-04-2008, 5:51 PM
Highland Woodworking has stanley plane parts, including the #78 depth stop in their catalog. Stanley sells them directly, too, but I don't have the URL handy. Sometimes parts like that can be had on Ebay, and Walt Quadrato at Brass City Records (203-574-7805) can often come up with random parts like that.

John Todd
04-04-2008, 6:44 PM
You can also find them at St James Bay Tool Company:
http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

Click on "Tools" then on "Stanley Reproduction replacement Parts".

He has quite a few parts for 78s as well as other planes.

Brian J. Williams
04-05-2008, 12:34 AM
One other option is to go directly to the garage door opening folks themselves (Stanley). I got an old (but very decent) 78 off that sie a couple of years ago, but no fence or depth stop. I went on Stanley's web site, got the part numbers, and then called them. The fence rod screwed right in to the original hole and tightened right up. I had to do a slight bit of filing on the depth stop, but it works pretty well now, too. FWIW

Brian

Bill Houghton
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I also bought the depth stop and fastening screw from Stanley a few years back. The depth stop came covered with enough paint to cover the entire plane body, which has resulted in the stop slipping once - on my list is removing all the paint, so I can get a better grip. Still, if the price is better, consider it - the general quality is OK. Warning: shipping is steep; if you are just getting one part, you can wind up paying more for the shipping than for the part.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/

Ray Knight
04-06-2008, 8:24 PM
or at least there was earlier this afternoon. starting price about $9 Ray