PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a loose adjuster?

Brian Hale
04-04-2008, 4:34 PM
Just received a type 11 5 1/2C in pretty good shape except the lateral adjuster is real loose, so loose in fact that it shakes, rattles and rolls when you pick up the plane. Looks like someone tried peen it some and made it worse. Can i drill it out and re-rivet it somehow or just look for another frog?

Brian :)

Jim Koepke
04-04-2008, 4:52 PM
Just received a type 11 5 1/2C in pretty good shape except the lateral adjuster is real loose, so loose in fact that it shakes, rattles and rolls when you pick up the plane. Looks like someone tried peen it some and made it worse. Can i drill it out and re-rivet it somehow or just look for another frog?

Well, where would you get a new frog? I have had this occasionally. Some times it is a blessing as it makes it easy to remove to paint or lap the frog.

It is usually easier to knock out from the back side of the frog. Then when it is put back in, a punch is held secure against my anvil (old piece of train track) and it is lightly tapped on the back side to peen it over.

If you do drill it out, you will have to find something to use as a rivet. Nails of various sizes are usually good for making rivets.

jim

Brian Hale
04-04-2008, 5:30 PM
Thanks Jim

Are you saying to knock the thing out and then put it back in?

The nail idea sounds like a good one and i might have some bronze rod at work that would be malable enough.

Dave Cav
04-04-2008, 9:59 PM
I've tightened up a couple of loose lateral adjusters using a 3/8" flat punch and holding the bottom of the rivet against what I use as a bench anvil, a piece of 1" steel plate, turned up on edge. Take it easy and check after each whack to make sure you don't get it too tight.

Johnny Kleso
04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
First does it bother you so much that you will risk breaking the frog?

If you make sure your backing up the rivet and not the casting..

I have broke a few trying to replace them for customers..

The best way I found is to use a center punch and then try to peen over the center punch marks.. Its not easy to do and I most times am happy with it not falling out..

To make it tight is not worth having to replace the frog..