PDA

View Full Version : Adaware spy removal software problem

Alan Tolchinsky
04-04-2008, 3:44 PM
Hi All, Every time I use this software I lose all cookies to sites I use along with the bad stuff. After using it I can't post to SMC for instance until I redo my password etc. How can I use this software and not lose all my useful cookies along with the spyware junk on my computer?

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-04-2008, 3:45 PM
what anti-spyware software do you use?

Russ Filtz
04-04-2008, 3:58 PM
It's in the title!

Been awhile since I used it, but you should be able to uncheck the low threat stuff before you clean.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-04-2008, 4:08 PM
My system cleanser of last resort is FDisk, Format, re-install.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-04-2008, 5:04 PM
sorry, my bad....my brain saw it as 'Adware', and it never clicked..

anyways - i also use that. It warns you that it'll be removing cookies, etc....I don't recall if there's a setting to tell it not to do so, but I know when I use it I always unselect the items that I want to 'keep' before having it 'fix' my system.

Eric Franklin
04-04-2008, 7:36 PM
You could just buy a Mac and not worry about adaware.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-04-2008, 9:06 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to buy a Mac, NOT! :)

Jim Becker
04-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Alan, some software will allow you to put in exceptions for things like cookie removal. Most of the better ad-ware protection programs will only remove known ad-ware cookies and leave the others intact. Perhaps you should consider a different solution. I'm using the ZoneAlarm suite for Firewall, virus protection and ad-ware control and it doesn't screw around with any of my normal cookies.

David G Baker
04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I use Adaware frequently and ZoneAlarm Security Suite daily. It always surprises me when ZoneAlarm gets done scanning and I run Adaware I get a bunch of items that need to be deleted. As Jim wrote, ZoneAlarm leaves the normal cookies alone
When I use Adaware I have learned to keep my passwords and screen names handy. I have gotten in the habit of adding them after the scan so it is not a problem for me any longer.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-05-2008, 1:43 AM
Thanks Jim and David. I'm glad I'm not the only one losing his cookies with Adaware. Isn't it a shame we have to do this to keep our computers clean.