PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on price of used drum sander

Stephen Edwards
04-04-2008, 2:02 PM
The photo below is of a Perdormax drum sander for sale for $650.00. The guy who owns it doesn't know much about it. It was his Dad's, who has passed away. Does anyone have an estimate of the age of this sander by looking at the photo?

Last night Amazon had the Jet 16-32 on sale for $799 with free supersaver shipping. I've never owned a drum sander but am going to buy one soon. I've about decided on the Jet/Performax. Seems to me that this sander in the photo is a bit high priced since I can buy a brand new one for $150-$200 more.

Opinions and advice welcomed! What would be a reasonable offer for this sander?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Haycraft
04-04-2008, 2:20 PM
The photo below is of a Perdormax drum sander for sale for $650.00. The guy who owns it doesn't know much about it. It was his Dad's, who has passed away. Does anyone have an estimate of the age of this sander by looking at the photo?

Last night Amazon had the Jet 16-32 on sale for $799 with free supersaver shipping. I've never owned a drum sander but am going to buy one soon. I've about decided on the Jet/Performax. Seems to me that this sander in the photo is a bit high priced since I can buy a brand new one for $150-$200 more.

Opinions and advice welcomed! What would be a reasonable offer for this sander?

Thanks for your help.
It also has an itty bitty dust port.. 800 is about rock bottom for a new one. I haven't seen one used for below 700 however.

Michael Boyle
04-04-2008, 2:21 PM
Personally I think $650.00 is high for the sander. It is the older model with the smaller dust port and also does not have the overload protection that the newer units from Jet/Performax do. If it was in the 400 to 450 range I would feel it was more appropriately priced. It is hard to tell from the photo's but from what I can tell it does appear to be in good condition which would add to it's value. One thing, Woodcraft is having a sale on all Jet equipment for one day on the 12th of this month. If you are thinking of buying new, it would be worth checking out.

William Nimmo
04-04-2008, 3:04 PM
I paid 350 for the newer model off Craigs list. I got a great deal though. I think 650 is high for that old of a tool.

Mike Malott
04-04-2008, 3:39 PM
I sold my 16-32 Performax years ago for $500.

Mike

Stephen Edwards
04-04-2008, 5:58 PM
Thanks for your advice and input folks. I, too, think this tool is priced too high. Again, Thanks!

Doug Shepard
04-04-2008, 6:36 PM
It also doesn't have the infeed/outfeed tables. Unless you plan on building one into a longer surface flush with the table or just doing short work, plan on getting those. If those are factory casters they've gone way downhill since I bought mine. The ones on my 16-32 are some of the best I've come across and the dont look anything like those. $650 does sound high, but how much paper is in the deal is something to weigh. That stuff ain't cheap.