PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Leather Key Fobs?

AL Ursich
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Have been searching the forum looking for Leather Key Fobs? Anyone Laser them? Thought Laser bits would have them but not.

Also looking for door hangers to make "Do not Disturb" in Leather.

Thanks,

AL

Steve McKee
04-04-2008, 1:10 PM
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Mitchell Andrus
04-04-2008, 1:17 PM
I saw none there... but Al! You've got a laser, just cut your own and buy some split rings and a grommet press (at the Borg).

Kenneth Hertzog
04-04-2008, 1:56 PM
Al
I buy them from Tandy Leather
item number is

4149-12

I have laser engraved them and they come out nice

they may also have the door hangers you are looking for

ken

Mitchell Andrus
04-04-2008, 2:04 PM
Duh, I searched for "Key fobs", plural. Their fault.

AL Ursich
04-04-2008, 5:57 PM
Wow Great Response !!!! One problem with cutting them out on the Laser is Laser Power Envy.... I only have 20 watts on the Laser I have running and the other is a old Radius 30 running on Win 95. I am looking into getting the control board for about $700.00 to make it XT but for now it just sits.

Plus I still need to replace the mirror on the 20 Watt Profile.... Been very busy... Busy is good....

My Laser Buddy Lisa has 45 Watts I believe? Could Sub some of the work to her....

Thanks for the sources and the support.

Mike Null
04-04-2008, 6:04 PM
Al

I think your 20 watt machine will do it in one pass as long as your not trying to cut 1/4" thick leather.

I haven't done leather for some time but it is made for the laser. My results were always very good.

Kenneth Hertzog
04-04-2008, 6:07 PM
Al
I tried cutting leather with the laser and found I did NOT like the results.
the ones from tandy come with everything you need but the rivet setter.
I was not impressed with the hand held setter
bought a small press from the bay that does a nice job.
your 20 watt is more than enough to do the engraving
ken

AL Ursich
04-04-2008, 6:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I ordered a dozen to play with and the setting tool. I wonder if I can get a setting tool for my Grommet press?

I thought 20 watts was good to engrave with a few light passes of what works. Was not sure about cutting. I will upgrade soon, I do Sublimation, CLTT, Rotary, V Carving and Wood making Tourist Stuff.

My latest is Fire Dept stuff.... Found a local shop willing to sell my stuff.

Thanks,

AL

Kenneth Hertzog
04-04-2008, 8:01 PM
Al

that press is exactly what you want and it will work nicely
it doesn't take a lot of force to set the rivet

hope you enjoy I do

ken

Thad Nickoley
04-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Al,

where do you get the feflective tape that is in the 2nd picture?

James Bogard
04-13-2008, 12:05 AM
AL,
How many key fobs are you in need of? I have some that are rectangular in shape with a hole for a key ring already punched in it. I'll get measurements and a piece count if your interested. I used a template cut out of acrylic to hold them in place. It worked out great.

Keith Outten
04-13-2008, 10:43 AM
We have a leather guy who belongs to SawMill Creek. Contact CW McClellan via private message at the link below, he can surely provide you with custom leather key fobs and a host of other items ready for engraving. CW is a real nice guy and his prices are hard to beat. Please try to support those who are in our Community when you can.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=16634

AL Ursich
04-13-2008, 11:49 AM
The reflective is standard Engineering Grade white reflective with a Sublimated Clear plastic overlay. I have a Graphtec FC7000 on order to cut stickers and leave them on a carry sheet. It reads registration marks.

Will be doming the stickers.

I got the samples from Tandy and they look nice. The other company blew me off and said NO to a wholesale account and wouldn't even give me a local supplier. They had some nice stuff.

I will contact CW. Thanks

AL

Doug Jones from Oregon
04-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Al, when you get your fobs from Tandy, try your CLTT process....I have done some full color transfer to coasters and liked what I got.

Doug