PDA

View Full Version : thoughts from JET 16" planer Owners

NICK BARBOZA
04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I just got my tax return back and i am fighting to keep it in the bank for at least 24hrs. I have been eyeing the JET 16" open stand planer at the local western tool supply for months now and i am pretty much sold on it.

so my question is directed towards those of you who own this machine. Do you like it? complaints about it? any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Rick Fouts
04-04-2008, 9:22 PM
I've had this machine for a litte over a year. I've run a lot of wood through it since I got it and have no regrets. If you decide to take the plunge, go to www.americannationalknife.com (http://www.americannationalknife.com) to get your repalcement knives. They give great service and their prices are good as well.

NICK BARBOZA
04-05-2008, 2:28 PM
only one person has this planer????? thats surpising...

a little "bump" for the weekend crowd.

Nick

Katherine Bercaw
04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
a second BUMP

with a tax return burning a hole in my pocket and a 10% of JET tools sale at woodcraft this weekend....

I'm either going to get this or the their 12" planer/jointer unit but that's a lot of $$$

I think if I get the planer I can edge joint for a while using a sled on my TS before getting a jointer. I could then get a smaller jointer 'cause I'd have the capacity to face joint using the planer.

Comments? Which would you get first - a planer or jointer?

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Katherine, as I'm sure you know, a planer and jointer do different jobs.

A jointer makes things flat and/or at right angles. (It can also bevel, however that's not what we're discussing).

A planer makes things parallel.

two comments from experience;

1) If I was going to stagger the purchase, I would purchase the planer first. You can at least plane something to a given thickness, even if you can't make it flat.

2) I wouldn't purchase a separate jointer and planer, I'd buy a Hammer combo (or equivalent) so that I had a wide jointer (12 inch) and a 12 inch planer. (Not that I was this smart, I bought a jointer and stationary planer and then replaced them).

I know that people will tell you to use a planer sled instead of a jointer, however I'm just not that competent. For me a jointer has better accuracy and speed than a wooden sled that has to be adjusted for each piece of wood. Plus I can't build a wodden sled that's as flat or as rigid as my jointer.

Regards, Rod.

Katherine Bercaw
04-09-2008, 5:44 PM
I actually figured out the difference between jointers and planers (lots of magazines... no experience, just lots of reading) I just figured that for face jointing I could use a sled on anything over 6" or so.

Owl Hardwoods has so MANY beautifull woods that I could turn into expensive firewood if I can make the step up from prediminsional lumber at the borgs.

The Jet or Grizzly combo would be tough to swing at once and a hammer is just way out of the budget... unless you want to give me your tax return too :D

Anchul Axelrod
04-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I sold mine. Just bought a Powermatic 20" with the spiral cutter head. I didn't like the adjustment on it. Difficult to adjust. I also didn't like the cut. Glad I am rid of it.