PDA

View Full Version : Domino Question (Vacuum)

Rob Will
04-04-2008, 9:31 AM
Never used a domino before.
Does it require a vac to be attached?
Can I use a regular shop vac?
What is so special about the Festool vacs?

Thanks,
Rob

Matt Meiser
04-04-2008, 9:48 AM
Yes, according to Festool you need a vac or it will clog.

You can use a regular shop vac. Most people buy a Festool hose. You can buy the non-Antistatic hose to save a few $$. You also might be able to use one of the rubber step adapters from the Borg.

The Festool vacs are very quiet compared to the Shop vacs I own, have variable speed (good for sanding with fine grit abrasives where the sander tends to stick to the work.), have auto-on features, allow you to carry Festool's systainers on top, and generally are more stable rolling around the shop than my shop vac. They are expensive, but I don't regret buying it one bit. You can also get some of the features above in other brand vacs.

Rob Will
04-04-2008, 9:58 AM
Yes, according to Festool you need a vac or it will clog.

You can use a regular shop vac. Most people buy a Festool hose. You can buy the non-Antistatic hose to save a few $$. You also might be able to use one of the rubber step adapters from the Borg.

The Festool vacs are very quiet compared to the Shop vacs I own, have variable speed (good for sanding with fine grit abrasives where the sander tends to stick to the work.), have auto-on features, allow you to carry Festool's systainers on top, and generally are more stable rolling around the shop than my shop vac. They are expensive, but I don't regret buying it one bit. You can also get some of the features above in other brand vacs.

Thanks Matt, which Festool vac is the one to buy?
Rob

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Rob,
I don't own any black n green stuff... but from what I've read the CT22 I think it is (the smaller one) is sufficient for most. The performance from one to the next is the same, the only difference is in bag capacity IIRC.
I learned M&T the old fashioned chisel chop chop way, that tenon cutter of theirs seems well, too fast, too easy and you should never blow out a mortise side, end and you'd not have to label every joint as the tenons won't need to be pared to fit the mortise. The learning curve is the speed of your plunge, why do I seem to always go the difficult route first?
Geeze, what's the deal? LOLOL
I'm awful tempted by the domino too (have been for a year now & still abating the urge)... and as I said yesterday, there's no such thing as a WW'er with one black n green tool... like theres no such thing as owning just one hand plane. Go ahead, open that "bag of Lay's" per say.
I believe the hills that slope into the Creek are slippery indeeed.

Greg

Frank Martin
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM
The small one, is well small. The only difference between the CT22 and CT33 is the bag capacity, otherwise same motor, suction, etc. It appears most people go with CT22, which is what I have and consider one of my best purchases despite the cost.

Matt Meiser
04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I have the CT22. The smaller vacs (Mini and Midi) have less suction and the CT33 is the same, just larger capacity in the bag.

Dan Lee
04-04-2008, 11:24 AM
As far as needing a vac with Domino .... absolutely. I tried doing just a few without hooking up a vac and it clogged up really fast.

BTW I use a Fein turbo III and it works great.

Wade Lippman
04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I forgot to turn my vacuum on once. Lets just say I will be more careful in the future.

I put a festool hose end on my standard hose. It is nice because it fits all my PC tools as well as my rigid sanders. Getting anything to fit the rigid (metabo) sanders was difficult, so my solution was perfect.

BTW, my wife made me get rid of my CT22; she claimed a high pitched noise made the whole house unbearable. Fortunately I bought it used and sold it at a profit, so I didn't have to face the difficult decision of which to get rid of.

Rob Will
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I forgot to turn my vacuum on once. Lets just say I will be more careful in the future.

I put a festool hose end on my standard hose. It is nice because it fits all my PC tools as well as my rigid sanders. Getting anything to fit the rigid (metabo) sanders was difficult, so my solution was perfect.

BTW, my wife made me get rid of my CT22; she claimed a high pitched noise made the whole house unbearable. Fortunately I bought it used and sold it at a profit, so I didn't have to face the difficult decision of which to get rid of.

I thought those things were supposed to be quiet (?)
(the CT22)
LOL;).

Rob

Jerry White
04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I have both the Fein II and the Festool CT22. In my opinion they are both very quiet in operation. Wade's experience is the first report that I have heard about objectionable noise from the CT22.

Peter Quadarella
04-04-2008, 1:46 PM
A regular shopvac works fine. I used those universal adapters that cost $10 (overpriced IMO) for the size change to my normal hose. I also use one of those automatic vac switches you can buy at Woodcraft, so the vac turns on automatically when the Domino does.

Bill Wyko
04-04-2008, 1:56 PM
The ct 33 goes from 22 liters to 33 liters in the bag and it also has a storage compartment. You can also buy a boom which attaches to it (and the ct22) which really makes it nice. It keeps the hose hanging from aboce instead of dragging it around. As far as the Domino goes, it just can't be beat. Anyone that says otherwise IMHO has never used a Domino.

Wade Lippman
04-04-2008, 5:01 PM
I thought those things were supposed to be quiet (?)
(the CT22)
LOL;).

Rob

I thought it was pretty quiet, but I have lost some of my high frequency hearing so maybe I just couldn't hear what was bothering her.

I'll have to see if she responds to the dog's silent whistle.

Matt Meiser
04-04-2008, 9:57 PM
I haven't heard anything like that out of mine. I wonder if something was wrong with yours? Or maybe your wife just has exceptional hearing. I've read that teens are using cell phone ringers that most adults can't hear. Maybe she could hear those too?

Joe Mioux
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks Matt, which Festool vac is the one to buy?
Rob

the ct22 is to 110V as the ct33 is to 220

a great philosopher once stated "110 - 120 whatever it takes".

both will suck, its just a matter of how often you will change the bag AND buy new bags.

I bought the ct33 so I would (in theory save money) save money by not buying as many bags as I would, had I purchased the 110v (ct22) version.

joe

and yes the ct33 is 110 or 115 or 120v. :rolleyes: