PDA

View Full Version : another lawn tractor question

Greg Stanford
04-04-2008, 9:30 AM
Don't want to hijack the other thread- I'm looking at a Toro 42 in, 20 HP CVT rider @ 1299.00 or a Troy Built 42 in, 18 HP Bronco @ 1199.00. I've got just over an acre to cut mostly flat & reasonably open. Leaning towards the Toro but wanted other impressions.

thanks,

g

Jim Podsedly
04-04-2008, 9:57 AM
Greg,

I have a Troybilt, 17.5HP, 42 inch cut. I bought it 6 years ago and never have had it serviced. Just change the oil each year. Heck the battery still is good and it sits in a shed all winter long. I cannot break this thing. I really want a zero turn but not until this thing breaks...

Just my .02

Jim

Matt Meiser
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Disclaimer: I haven't owned a lawn tractor for 4 years now since I need a larger tractor.

That said, do yourself a favor and go to a John Deere dealer and ask them to show you the differences between the Big Box tractors and the dealer-only tractors. The big box tractors tend to be all spot-welded sheetmetal and plastic, even for things like the front axle. Pulleys that are cast iron or heavy stampings are light stampings or even plastic. You could pay 2x as much for a tractor at a dealer--I'm not sure as I haven't bought a lawn tractor in almost 10 years--but if it lasts 2-3x as long that's a good buy in my book. From what I've seen all big-box tractors are pretty much built the same regardless of what color paint they have. Factor in the fact that a local dealer actually can support the tractor and your even further ahead. If you buy the tractor at a big box store, the manufacturer may send you to the same local dealer for service--and you may find them less than enthusiastic about helping you. My JD dealer could carry the same tractors as Lowes and Home Depot, but refuses to because of the quality difference. BTW, I say John Deere because I'm not sure who else is still in the lawn and garden tractor business besides the big box brands. I think maybe Simplicity is still around? I could be wrong, but I think New Holland is out of that business. Cub Cadet is now MTD--king of the big box tractor market.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Husqvarna is the same - the ones you see at Lowes are not quite the same as what you'd get from a dealer. I got a 48" Husqvarna at Lowes I think maybe 5 years ago, and it's never had a problem - just make sure the oil is clean and the battery kept charged. But apparently getting is serviced is 'different' because it was a Lowe's model.

Take a look at how they're made - axles, bushings, engine, etc, and pick one that you think will fit your usage. I know mine would never tolerate the same duty that a 'real' model would - but it works great for me.

Tom Henry
04-04-2008, 10:52 AM
If you are cutting over an acre I would consider a ZTR...You will cut your time in half. I would guess cutting will take you over 2 hrs with a rider.:eek:

Keith Outten
04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
This is a copy of the response I posted in the other mower thread.

My personal opinion on mowers is to either purchase a high quality commercial machine or the cheapest model you can find. The mowers in the middle of the price field are generally overpriced and not worth the investment.

A high quality commercial machine will be the last you ever need to purchase. The cheap machines are disposible, junk them when they are worn out.

I own a Dixie Chopper with a 72" deck. I have a six acre lawn and enjoy the time saved cutting at ten mph. Any of the commercial mowers will serve you well. All of the cheap machines are made by MTD.

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a 33" mini commercial walk behind (Troy Bilt that's 7 years old) and it drags me around 12-20 hours a week in the mowing season... but I get paid pretty well for it. It's been paid for about 50 times over now.:D
I've thought about getting a ZTR a few times, but then need a bigger trailer etc.... and I'd have to worry about getting exercise cause I'd be sitting on my butt instead of walking (espeically in the nice warm & humid KC summers). If nothing else, I tell myself I'm sweating out the beer I'm going to have when I'm done mowing that day...LOL
I'd shy away of any MTD subsidiaries too, but I use my mowing machinery much more that the average "Joe".

Greg

Lee Schierer
04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Troy Bilt, Toro (edit- the Toro Company is not part of MTD), Cub Cadet and several others are all made by MTD. If you want a good machine that is US made and will last a long time take a look at Simplicity. I cut about an acre of grass with mine, actually LOML does all the cutting. She loves the new Simplicity we bought 2 years ago. You'll pay a bit more, but you get a much, much better machine.Simplicity Regent (http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/lawn_tractors/regent/)

I can remove my mower deck in less than 1 minute and put it back in place in well under 5. It has a hydrostatic drive which give you infinite speed control. The cut will be the best you've ever seen.

Tom Henry
04-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I didn't know that Toro was MTD!!!

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Tom,
I bought my Toro when it was Toro (I owned Toro stock for a few years too & it split twice whilst I was in on it, so I got out while the getting was rather good).
MTD is the Black n Decker of the mowing machinery IMO.

Greg

Tom Henry
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I can't find anywhere on the net it saying Toro is owned or bought by MTD...some help on this one...it does say that Troy Bilt was.

Al Wasser
04-04-2008, 2:21 PM
The current issue of consumers reports has ratings of mowers. I got my copy yesterday. You might take a look at it.

Lee Schierer
04-04-2008, 3:19 PM
I didn't know that Toro was MTD!!!You are right they are not! I mistakenly included them in the list of MTD companies.

Gary Herrmann
04-11-2008, 7:56 PM
I've got a Simplicity lawn tractor with a Honda engine. Had it for years, it runs great. Maybe not as fast as a ztr, oh well. Maybe next time, if I ever need another one.

Greg Cuetara
04-12-2008, 11:16 AM
That said, do yourself a favor and go to a John Deere dealer and ask them to show you the differences between the Big Box tractors and the dealer-only tractors. The big box tractors tend to be all spot-welded sheetmetal and plastic, even for things like the front axle. Pulleys that are cast iron or heavy stampings are light stampings or even plastic. You could pay 2x as much for a tractor at a dealer--I'm not sure as I haven't bought a lawn tractor in almost 10 years--but if it lasts 2-3x as long that's a good buy in my book. From what I've seen all big-box tractors are pretty much built the same regardless of what color paint they have. Factor in the fact that a local dealer actually can support the tractor and your even further ahead. If you buy the tractor at a big box store, the manufacturer may send you to the same local dealer for service--and you may find them less than enthusiastic about helping you. My JD dealer could carry the same tractors as Lowes and Home Depot, but refuses to because of the quality difference.

Matt, When JD first started selling tractors in the box stores you were correct, they were cheap immitations of the real mccoy. In the last few years they had to change their attitude and approach. At least the JD tractors which are sold in the box stores are the same as sold at the dealers. (i believe they are the 100 series) Still not commercial grade quality but there were problems when someone purchased a JD from the BORG then had problems and took it to a dealer and the dealer said too bad I won't touch it. People were turned off by this and JD retooled and upgraded their machines so that the machines you buy at the BORG are the same at the dealer so they will service them where ever you buy them. I know there are many brands out there and I seem to agree with Keith. Either buy cheap / disposable or one to last a lifetime. Personally I bought a used 20 year old machine and it has lasted me for 5 years. It was fairly cheap and I have put a little into it but not very much.

Good Luck,
Greg

Matt Meiser
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Its good to know that they upgraded them. It seemed like a bad idea to stoop to the big box price point when your name is everything to you. My dealer was servicing them without complaint (according to my salesman) because they knew that when they unrepairable they would have the customer in their showroom. But some dealers were downright nasty about it from what I saw. I also chose not to take my business to one of those dealers after overhearing it.