PDA

View Full Version : My first project with my new tools:)

Kyle Costlow
04-04-2008, 1:40 AM
I built this as a present for my sister on her birthday last week(maybe I should have built before the day of...)
Anyway it was my first try at a picture frame and it looked really good until I mangled it with a ROS(I had not used one prior to this) I think I hid the mistake fairly well though. I took the photograph and did all the developing(analog) myself.
Let me know what you think, I could use some tips as I plan to make many more picture frames.
Thanks,
Kyle

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_5357.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_5356.jpg

Bill Wyko
04-04-2008, 1:52 AM
You did a fine job. Keep in mind, one of the greatest things in wood working is getting better and better. Don't be hard on yourself. What did she say about it?

Matt Bickford
04-04-2008, 2:01 AM
Here's a quick tip: When you're applying the molding along the inside of the frame I woud suggest having the pieces along the rails in place (not necessarily glued) while fitting those along the stiles. The tips of the stiles' moldings may get pushed into the joint making it much more difficult to line the miters up all the way around. It looks like this may have happened to you. I know that I've done this before.

The fram does look nice. I'd certainly hang it on my wall.

Norman Pyles
04-04-2008, 2:07 AM
Looks fine from here.

Dave MacArthur
04-04-2008, 3:00 AM
I'd hang it--nice seeing a multi-skilled guy combining his talents for a gift. Good on ya!

Terry Teadtke
04-04-2008, 3:12 AM
Looks good to me. Good job

Terry

Dave Verstraete
04-04-2008, 6:48 AM
Kyle

That's a keeper for sure!

Per Swenson
04-04-2008, 7:20 AM
Good job!

Sawmill Creek and perhaps the world needs more young people like you.

(Did ja catch that Folks? He developed his own picture! In the age

of the gameboy that is just outstanding,)

Per

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 9:09 AM
Kyle,
Nice job. I too like the fact that you made the frame and developed the pic. I am sure your girl will appreciate it much more than we Creekers!
Also nice to see some youth movement in the hobby per say. I'm 33 and have been an avid WW'er for about 3-4 years and honestly just getting my shop to where I don't feel as I have to constantly add to the arsenal. The lust for the biggest baddest tools is hard to curb, but there is oh so much that can be done with less than "the best". I did all my kitchen doors & drawer fronts with a borrowed TS and a router I bought and had little idea how to use (other than stick a bit in it and turn it on, kinda like my LOML and her car, ya just put gas in it and drive it right?:D;):p).

Keep at it Kyle!

Greg

Sawmill Creek and perhaps the world needs more young people like you. (Did ja catch that Folks? He developed his own picture! In the age of the gameboy that is just outstanding,)

Gameboy??? Geeze haven't heard that in years! :D
My 6 year old does have Super Mario (yes the original) on his Nintendo DS.

Greg Sznajdruk
04-04-2008, 9:12 AM
First effort is what counts, the frame will I'm sure be displayed with pride.

Analog processing, I've got a complete colour darkroom in boxes that have not been unpacked for 15 years. Fortunately my DIL asked me what was in all of those boxes. She immediately tried to buy the whole works. Since she is going to be the mother of my grand kids I gave her the whole thing. Now I'm scheduled to build a darkroom in their new home.

Turns out analog processing is still alive and well.

Good luck with both of your hobbies.

Greg

Mark Grotenhuis
04-04-2008, 9:12 AM
First off... nice job Kyle. I have a friend the same age as you that started developing his own pictures and making his own frames with my help on the frames. He's turning into a very talented photographer ... and now he's starting to sell his work which is very exciting. Young people like us need to unite and learn the skills of the old timers. Well wait... I just turned 26 a week or so ago... maybe I'm not so young anymore. Keep plugging away.

Don Bullock
04-04-2008, 9:29 AM
Kyle, that frame looks fantastic. You did a great job. Yes, learning new tools takes a while, but you seem to have recovered well from your "mistake." It's nice to read about a project you made for your sister. I'm sure she'll cherish it because you made it.

Von Bickley
04-04-2008, 9:35 AM
Kyle,

The frame looks great..... Thanks for sharing the picture with us.:)

J. Z. Guest
04-04-2008, 9:48 AM
Very nice Kyle. It seems like we share more than one hobby. I'm also an amateur photographer and analog B&W developer. I think the personality type that likes certain things also likes other things. (you asked me about RC planes a while ago too)

As a photographer, darkroom afficionado, etc, you should build a spline jig for frames next. With that and a router table, (even a simple one) you will be able to do a lot of frames.

Art Mulder
04-04-2008, 9:50 AM
... it looked really good until I mangled it with a ROS(I had not used one prior to this) I think I hid the mistake fairly well though. ...

10 years later, I still see all the flaws in my own pieces. Yes, you'll still make mistakes, we all do. :p This is a problem with all artists, I think: we see all our mistakes.

It is a learning process to realize that the vast majority of people out there will not see any of those flaws. What they will see is a carefully built piece which they could never imagine being able to produce themselves.

Prashun Patel
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Nice job. It's a thoughtful gift too.

What did you finish it with? It looks like there's no finish on it (I don't finish half of my stuff; just asking).

Finishing is an art that REALLY tests yr woodworking skills bkz it brings out all the little scratches, dings, imperfections, glue seepage, and dust.

But, if done right, it's extremely rewarding and really brings out woods natural beauty.

Tim Thomas
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Nice work Kyle. Did you make this using your refurbished Craftsman saw?

You know, since you took the picture and developed it and made the frame, you should probably go the whole nine yards and melt down some sand to make your own glass too. It would just give it that little extra touch of class I think. :D

Jim Becker
04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Very nice!

Since we all learn best by doing...do it again!!

gary Zimmel
04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
The project looks pretty good to me...

We all learn from our mistakes, and only get better through practice

jason lambert
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Looks good, I have done the ros thing myself several times more aggressive and spongy than you think somethimes. Good thing is now you know.

Mark Valsi
04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but . . . .

I don't really care for it. I think that picture frames should be mitered at the corners, not made with rails and stiles.

I would be good for another project, but to my eye, not the right application of that skill set.

Al Willits
04-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Best advice Beasty gave to me was to step back a couple of feet, I'd been complaining of a drill hole that went though the wood and had to patch it, at about 8" it stood out like a sore thumb, back off to 18" or so and you couldn't see it.
We are are own worse critic.

Looks good to me, nice gift and I'll bet she enjoys it.

Al

Kyle Costlow
04-04-2008, 1:46 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone:) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

What did you finish it with? It looks like there's no finish on it (I don't finish half of my stuff; just asking).

I tried out my paste wax on this project, mainly because I needed to give it to her before her birthday was over... Only one coat, how many would you recommend, or is paste wax not so good? I've used polyurethane thinned with naptha in the past with good results.

Nice work Kyle. Did you make this using your refurbished Craftsman saw?

Sure did:) the P410 blade makes it nice:D I also used my Ryobi 10" miter saw.

I don't really care for it. I think that picture frames should be mitered at the corners, not made with rails and stiles.

I think I did it that way mainly because of personal preference, but also I had more experience with that style of frame, when I had access to a fully equipped shop(and a helpful carpenter) I was able to make this(note the same style frames...) I'll try to expand to a mitered frame next time and see how I like it. Thanks for the input:)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_1670.jpg

Bert Johansen
04-04-2008, 3:36 PM
Kyle, like the others have already implied, WAY TO GO! And welcome to the greatest resource you will find for woodworking. (And photography, perhaps? I gave away my analog darkroom stuff years ago when I went digital.)

The fellow Creekers you will meet on this site are a very generous bunch, and always available for advice--or a well-deserved pat on the back.

And remember the most important rule of all:

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH WOOD!

Good luck, and keep sending photos of your stuff.

Bill Wyko
04-04-2008, 4:34 PM
Keep in mind, a good woodworker is his own worst critic. The other sign of a good woodworker is not how perfect the piece is but how well you hide your mistakes. You did just fine. everyone here hide a mistake or two.:D