PDA

View Full Version : High fence for steel city band saw

jason lambert
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
I am making some vineer and I need a high fence the fence on my steel city 19" band saw is kind of short. It has a hole in it but bolting mdf to it is just not stable what is my best solution? Do I get a whole new fence system or is there a way to make a raised fence?

Pete Bradley
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
You can make your own fence. Mine is two pieces of MDF longer than the table and about 8" wide, joined at a right angle with screws. I clamped it to the table, clamped it perfectly perpendicular, and then glued in triangle blocks to hold it that way. To use it I just clamp it to the table with a couple of big clothespin clamps.

Pete

Jamie Buxton
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Pete's solution is a good approach if your existing fence is just too floppy to mount anything to. However, if the existing fence is sturdy, drill and tap your own holes into it, and bolt a taller plywood fence on to it. That's what I did to my Laguna. I used socket-headed cap screws, counterbored into the plywood so the heads don't protrude. An allen wrench installs and removes the auxiliary fence.

Doug Shepard
04-04-2008, 5:25 AM
Jamie's suggestion would be my first choice but if you can't drill/tap the existing fence you could also make a slip-on fence with a square U-channel at the bottom to slip over the fence. A couple of T-nuts and fixture knobs on the back side could tighten the fence onto the factory one si it doesnt move.