PDA

View Full Version : Used tool non-gloat

Alan Turner
03-26-2004, 10:44 AM
At the request of esteemed moderator Mr. Anderson, I am encouraged to post the untailed "haul" from my recent estate purchase. This will be a short post indeed. There were 3 metal planes, all MF, rusted, of on special vintage. I will clean them up and likely dispose of them as I am not a collector. Two bench; one block.
There are 2 Jap. planes, and one leather roll of unused Jap. chisels, all from Japan Woodworker (from the paperwork available). I don't know if they are special, and will post pix next week if time allows. 4 Jap. handsaws, in fair cond.
There are a "set" of rasps, good cond., a Jap. marking knife, and that is about it. Not a set of American chisels, so he must have done something with them as the Jap. chisels are largely even unlapped. No special striking tools. No western hand saws of note; one sort of modern panel saw. Clamps galore, wooden Jorgies, maybe 20 or so, of little use to me as I have plenty, and maybe about 20 Jorgie heavy bar clamps, var. lengths, also of little use since I have pretty much enough. K-Bodies weren't out when he changed careers, or they would be there in abundance, I suspect.
A nice 6" bridge City try square, which is right on at 90 (per my Starrett), which I will of course keep. Nice in the hand.
And, that's about it. Seems he was a power freak since the add-up price of just the stationary machines was about 22K.
He was a wood monger, however. I bought the wood in the shop, I think about 1500 BF or so, of crotch 8/4 planks, and tropicals, not all of which I can identify. On the other side of the "garage" were stacked about 8-10,000 BF of largely 8/4 cherry, walnut, white oak, and butternut (which I have not worked) and am not sure I can identify. I told the estate adm. that as a courtesy I would help her sell the large wood pile, and will get a local mill/retailer to take what I don't sell to some friends/students. It will take a semi and flatbed if it is to go in one trip. This fellow knew how to hoard wood!
This has been a great week!
Alan :)

Dave Anderson NH
03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
All things considered it wasn't too bad of a haul. You'll be able to turn over the stuff you don't want without any trouble and get your money back and then some I'm sure. The wood sounds like a lifetime supply to me. Don't go overboard in getting rid ot the crotch pieces. They make spectacular tops for furniture and as drawer fronts can add a lot to your work.

Jim Becker
03-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm going to be "purusing" the lumber tomorrow morning and undoubtedly will be somewhat poorer when I'm done! Chance of a lifetime, as it were...

Chris Padilla
03-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Pursue some for me, too, Jim! :D :D It isn't MY fault Alan is on the other side of the planet from me. I don't have any good "crotch" maple... :D