PDA

View Full Version : Another heli head talk 20" Planer

Adam Grills
04-03-2008, 7:49 PM
Hello,
I am looking at 20" planers with helical heads. King Ind. KC-530FX, GI 30-300HC and Powermatic 209HH. There are two different type heads in the machines I am looking at.
1)import helical- inserts are a shear cut and 96 cutters
2)Byrd shelix- helical, shear cut and 136 cutters.

Does anyone have experience that can speak to #1. My only reason for the heli/ shear head over a reg. head is to try and eliminate tearout on curly maple. I know that the Byrd head is great but I am looking at alot more money and if I can get the same cut from the other head I am on it! I still sand etc. after planing, just don't want tear out.

What are the dimensions of the Byrd inserts? the rest are 14mm x 14mm x 2mm. The Byrd ones are more $ on the Grizzly site.

I know that there is
#3 helical- but inserts are square to the cut and 96 cutters

but have tossed it out as an option. I have read a number of posts etc. on the 209 but can't find any on the GI or the King Ind. with the shear/ heli heads.
Thanks

Joe Jensen
04-03-2008, 9:03 PM
I have a Byrd head so I can't really answer how the others are. In my opinion, the shearing cut has to help.

Also, the inserts for the Byrd heads vary in price quite a bit. Unless you are running a ton of volume, the insert cost probably doesn't matter that much. When I researched this, I was told that carbide will last 3-10X longer than the HSS straight knives. Plus, you get 4 sides, so you would be going 12-40X longer on a set of carbide inserts than with straight knives. Sounds like over the long run, the inserts are cheaper than paying to have straight knives sharpened...joe

Rob Will
04-03-2008, 9:06 PM
If those "import" heads have carbide inserts and a shear cut........
are they not actually manufactured by Byrd tool in Leitchfield KY?

Most import heads that I have seen have "staggered" inserts but the cutting edge is not at a shear angle.

Rob

Chester Mullins
04-03-2008, 9:34 PM
I recently purchased a Grizzly G0544 pro machine with A spiral Head.
This machine was set up perfectly out of the box, no adjustments.
The cut quality at the fastest speed is very good, at the slowest speed
the cut quality is wonderful, mirror smooth.
I sold A Mini Max SF 41 Elite 16" Jointer/Planer, and this Machine/Cutter Head is much superior.

Terry Teadtke
04-03-2008, 9:40 PM
The King Ind. KC-530FX is about $6,000:eek: Might want to look at Grizzly as well.

Terry

Adam Grills
04-03-2008, 9:49 PM
Terry,
Don't know what you were looking at but the King is $2899.
Grillzy

Terry Teadtke
04-04-2008, 12:17 AM
For some reason I found a site in Bermuda of all places

http://www.betterrenovations.com/Bermuda/Store/Product.aspx?id=30784

Sorry about that. The King is a good looking machine as is the PM.

Terry