PDA

View Full Version : Sad Table Saw....

Heather Deans
04-03-2008, 7:42 PM
Yesterday, the motor on my old Rockwell table saw gave out. After replacing the capacitor and testing the electrical, it still didn't work, so with some help we pulled the motor out and its going out for repair. A table saw looks so pathetic when its all pulled apart! The actual reason for the post is that the shaft the blade is on is REALLY tight. There is some thread like build up between the plate the blade sits against and the bearings. As far as I can tell, the plate doesn't come out without pulling the whole bearing/shaft assembly (which I REALLY don't want to do if I don't have to). My actual question is this: is there supposed to be a seal of any sort between the plate and the bearing? I want to make sure that as I try to get out this fiberous stuff I'm not damaging a seal of some kind. It kind of looks like there might be a grey rubber washer that is partially gone already, or it might just be this buildup. If there is supposed to be a grey rubber washer/seal, any suggestions on how to replace it?

Heather

Wes Bischel
04-03-2008, 8:09 PM
Heather,
I'm not sure of your particular saw, but you may want to check here:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/index.php?cPath=82_148

They have schematics of a lot of Rockwell saws and should show what needs to be where. My contractor saw didn't have anything beside the bearing, but that doesn't mean much.

Wes

Pete Bradley
04-03-2008, 8:32 PM
I suspect the "gray rubber washer" is the seal that is/was part of the bearing. The threads could be left over from a belt that came apart, could be something else. You're pretty safe cleaning up between the bearing and the arbor, but if the seal has come off the bearing it will have to be replaced.

If you have some basic mechanical skills, I recommend removing the arbor and replacing the bearings.

Pete

Jack Clay
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
The arbor shaft should turn very easy and smooth. It is hard to tell in the picture but the only thing in there other than bearings is an expanding washer. I think it is on the other side of the bearing. If you raise the blade all the way up and remove the bolt that tightens the bracket to the arbor support. Using a pry bar or large screwdriver, ease the arbor bracket assembly off the support (Mark were it is at so you can put it back to the same spot). Then press the bearings out. I hope this helps good luck.

John Cooper2
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Just had my Unisaw apart not too long ago and I believe that that thick washer should come rite off.

Take that off and clean up whats behind it then see what happens.

Possible that the arbor went south and then the motor burned up because the arbor was dragging so much. (hope not though)

Jim Holman
04-05-2008, 7:06 AM
Try the link. Best unisaw reference on the web.

http://www.sawcenter.com/unisaw.htm

Lee Schierer
04-05-2008, 7:58 AM
I agree, if you can't turn the arbor by hand easily there is a problem in the bearing. Try carefully cleaning out the dust and material wrapped around it and see if it frees up. Once you get the bearing out, any local bearing shop can sell you a replacement. Just take the old on with you. You will want a sealed bearing or at the very least a shielded bearing rated for the rpm of the saw.

Bruce Wrenn
04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
While you have the saw down, why not replace the bearings? If the bearings are Delta/ Rockwell part # 1086894, then they are 6203-RS bearings These can be had from Reid Tool Company for $2.19 each. They are item # PRB-259. Also NAPA sells this bearing for about $20 each, but local bearing house will be less than $10. Also get a price from motor rewind shop for bearings, pressed onto shaft. Do it now, or do it later.