PDA

View Full Version : Chairs complete with upholstery

Mark Singer
04-03-2008, 7:06 PM
Today I completed the chairs with upholstery . I have a alternate cushon in another fabric being made and I should have those in a day or 2. This was a fun project. I enjoyed it and I tried to point out a few things I have learned designing and building chairs. There is a lot of thought and work in these and it was a rewarding effort.

Mark Singer
04-03-2008, 7:09 PM
More pics here...

Shawn Honeychurch
04-03-2008, 7:28 PM
Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Shawn

Jim W. White
04-03-2008, 7:37 PM
They really came out beautiful Mark!!

I really like the design!

Very nice work indeed ...and thanks for the tutorial along the way!

Jim in Idaho

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2008, 7:49 PM
Awesome chairs Mark..!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Don Bullock
04-03-2008, 8:13 PM
Mark, those are truly beautiful and go well with the other furniture. As I told you before, it takes a true craftsman to make comfortable chairs.

Adam Grills
04-03-2008, 8:17 PM
Mark,

You have done a wonderful job of showing the steps to a great looking chair. Thank you.

I do have a couple questions/ comments.

The seat cushion looks to be a tad short from the front of the chair exposing the front edge. When sitting in the deep seat does the back of your leg press on the edge? Something you can't tell from a picture but only by sitting in it.

Second. Have you used a fastening method to hold the seat cushion from kicking out when you sit in the chair and move a couple of times?

Again great job!

Adam

Peter Quinn
04-03-2008, 8:18 PM
Those are amazingly beautiful. Sexy design! Do you find them comfortable?

Bill Wyko
04-03-2008, 8:47 PM
Nice job Mark. Your work is always impressive. I like the design.

Mark Singer
04-03-2008, 9:26 PM
The chairs are really comfortable. Cushions are a woven leather with down, feathers and foam filling. The geometry is suitable for lounging. I just had a glass of wine and watched the ocean and sunset. In these chairs the wine tastes a little better and the ocean seems a little deeper blue.:rolleyes: I have designed and built most of the furniture our home and that is a very satisfying feeling

david kramer
04-03-2008, 9:40 PM
Mark,

The chairs look terrific. Are they solid? How much do they weigh?

David

Jim Becker
04-03-2008, 9:42 PM
OUTSTANDING, Mark!! I really wish I could have gotten up your way this week to see them in person. Oh, well...

John Michaels
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Outstanding job Mark. Those woven leather cushions are really neat.

Craig Thompson
04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Great looking chairs Mark, Thanks for the detailed posts on the construction methods.

gary Zimmel
04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Mark

Fantastic looking chairs, thank you for taking the time for this post.

Glenn Clabo
04-04-2008, 6:34 AM
Ya done it again Mark...Outstanding look and craftsmanship. Makes me want to test out that view with you. (and maybe the wine too ;))

John Keeton
04-04-2008, 6:57 AM
There is a lot of thought and work in these and it was a rewarding effort.

Fantastic work. Good clean style and well executed. Joinery is flawless. Not only a lot of thought and work", but a tremendous amount of QSWO!! Non-woodworkers rarely appreciate the materials cost in projects like this, let alone the artistry and workmanship. Sounds like you made these for personal use, but if you price them it needs to be considerable!

Mark Singer
04-04-2008, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the great reviews! Yes there is a lot of QSWO in these chairs . If I were to make these for someone it would be expensive. I think I had about 65 to 70 hours in both of them. That is a bit of work! I enjoyed it all though. Chairs test your skills and precision and I like the challenge. I will start another pair soon and they should go faster since I have all the templates .

Rick de Roque
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Mark,
As always great job. Love the chairs.

Rick