PDA

View Full Version : Reversing zero clearance TS inserts

Robert Dunaway
04-03-2008, 6:45 PM
I got a zero clearance insert for my table saw to I could install the microjig splitter. However, the ZC from Griz has another precut spot for the stock splitter.

Two questions.

First, can I reverse the insert? I would be moving the lift pin to the back, but I could always file that off and make another, right? Do I even need the lift pin? The stock doesn't have it.

Second, if I don't reverse the ZC, is that WEEEEE bit of insert left going to be enough for the splitter to bit into? It sure doesnt look like it.

Eddie Darby
04-03-2008, 7:16 PM
Don't muck-up your ZCI, instead make a whole new one. It is not to hard to do.

glenn bradley
04-03-2008, 8:54 PM
I'm with Eddie. I make them 6 at a time. They are a wear part like the brakes on your car. After a good run, toss 'em. Besides, you'll need one for each blade, one for 45*, a few for dados . . . . use your store-bought as a template and make some more.

Sean Troy
04-03-2008, 9:06 PM
I got a zero clearance insert for my table saw to I could install the microjig splitter. However, the ZC from Griz has another precut spot for the stock splitter.

Two questions.

First, can I reverse the insert? I would be moving the lift pin to the back, but I could always file that off and make another, right? Do I even need the lift pin? The stock doesn't have it.

Second, if I don't reverse the ZC, is that WEEEEE bit of insert left going to be enough for the splitter to bit into? It sure doesnt look like it.
I had no problem with the Griz ZCI and micro splitter. Are you sure you have the correct ZCI?

Robert Dunaway
04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I got the one for my saw. It's got the not quite through slot in the very back for the stock splitter. Did you have any problems with support for the splitter after you drilled the holes?

Sean Troy
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I got the one for my saw. It's got the not quite through slot in the very back for the stock splitter. Did you have any problems with support for the splitter after you drilled the holes?

No, no problem at all. Just be accurate as you can with the setup. It's actually easier than it sounds as you read the instructions. That may well have been the first time I actually read instructions all the way through !

Jim Becker
04-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes, you should have the anti-lift pin on the back side, so move it or make provisions for one if you flip the ZCI around. (I've used a cut off finishing nail in a 1/8" hole for years for that purpose) They are generally symetrical, so flipping is not an issue and it does give them a second life.