PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new dewalt 735 planer any thoughts?

Jeff Dunlap
04-03-2008, 5:25 PM
The Local lowes has the dewalt 735 on sale for 466.65 This is about the top of my budget. My question is, given the mixed reviews i see on some websites about cheap aluminum or plastic parts, knive durability, is this planer worth it. I'll give some backgroud as i know people have differetn needs form products. I am new to woodworking this will be my first planer, i will probably run rough cut lumber or smooth lumber no reclaimed lumber and i don't see myself running a whole lot of lumber a few hundred board feet a year. Any help would greatly be apperciated.
Jeff

Jason Beam
04-03-2008, 5:39 PM
That's not a great deal on that planer, IMHO. Count on needing the feed tables, for sure. I don't know if it comes with a dust shroud, but count on that, too. That's almost another $100 on top of your $466.

I think you'd be better served with the 734. It comes with tables and the dust shroud already and I'd say it's a better value. 735 owners tend to either love or hate their machines. I haven't met many 734 owners that are at all dissatisfied.

Bruce Benjamin
04-03-2008, 6:09 PM
The Local lowes has the dewalt 735 on sale for 466.65 This is about the top of my budget. My question is, given the mixed reviews i see on some websites about cheap aluminum or plastic parts, knive durability, is this planer worth it. I'll give some backgroud as i know people have differetn needs form products. I am new to woodworking this will be my first planer, i will probably run rough cut lumber or smooth lumber no reclaimed lumber and i don't see myself running a whole lot of lumber a few hundred board feet a year. Any help would greatly be apperciated.
Jeff

Honestly, I've seen very few negative reviews of the 735 other than about the life of the knives. I've only seen a handful of comments about the planer not being durable otherwise. Certainly nothing about, "Cheap aluminum or plastic parts". I think I've seen a couple of reports about some gear problems but I think that was with the first ones sold. It's been a long time since I've heard about that problem. That being said, I've had no complaints at all about the durability of the knives on mine or any other problems at all. Infinity makes a replacement that are supposedly of higher quality.

$466 looks like a good price. You can get the same price from Amazon shipped for free. The extension tables are $50 shipped. I've had one of these planers for a few years now and I've been very satisfied with it. I didn't buy the extension tables because I made a rolling cart for it with flip up extension tables built in to it. It works perfectly. But you'll probably either want to get the tables or come up with some sort of infeed/outfeed support for it. It's pretty simple.

The planer has a built in dust blower that is amazing. I started out with just my old shop vac hooked up to it and it got 99% of the chips/dust. When I upgraded to a HF dust collector the DC didn't improve because there really wasn't any room for improvement. In fact, I've forgotten to turn on the DC a couple of times and the built in dust fan still pumped probably 90% or more of the dust/chips into the DC. In other words, DC isn't a problem with this unit and I doubt that there's any other planer available that can do better in this area. Dewalt also offers an adapter so that you can hook the planer dust port directly up to a garbage can. It blows the chips right into the can. I've never used one of these but judging by how well it blew the dust/chips through my 4"x10' dust hose into my DC, I'm sure it would do at least as well going a short distance into a garbage can.

I got a good deal from whomever I bought it from but it's been so long I don't remember where I bought it. I got the planer, an extra set of knives, one of those 12v batter jump start thingies, a pocket knife and free shipping for just under $500. If I were going to buy another one I'd probably look for one of the refurbished deals that are offered by a couple of companies. They come with a full warranty and you can save some $$. But for the price you've found you might be happy because you can buy it in person instead of having it shipped.

Bruce

Bruce Benjamin
04-03-2008, 6:13 PM
That's not a great deal on that planer, IMHO. Count on needing the feed tables, for sure. I don't know if it comes with a dust shroud, but count on that, too. That's almost another $100 on top of your $466.

I think you'd be better served with the 734. It comes with tables and the dust shroud already and I'd say it's a better value. 735 owners tend to either love or hate their machines. I haven't met many 734 owners that are at all dissatisfied.

For a new one that's not a bad deal at all. Amazon has it for the same price with free shipping. And they do come with a dust shroud and a port to hook up a dust collector. The tables are not $100. Amazon has them for $50 shipped. There have been some owners who didn't like the blades of the 735 but by far the majority of owners are very satisfied overall. Hardly anyone hates them that I've seen. Are you sure we're talking about the same model of planer because almost nothing of what you described about the DW735 is accurate? :confused:

Bruce

Brent Grooms
04-03-2008, 7:17 PM
If you are at the limit of your budget and based off of the description of your planned usage... this will be a cadillac of a tool. It will do everything you ask of it. Plan on getting the tables, sooner rather than later. They make a world of a difference on how it performs. I have one of the early "models" and just broke one of the drive gears (after about 3years). I use it hard and often. 5minutes and about $3.00 its an easy thing to fix if it were to ever fail on you. The price is pretty good altho you might shop ebay as I see them grouped with tables and/or spare blades pretty often NIB.

Jason Beam
04-03-2008, 7:21 PM
For a new one that's not a bad deal at all. Amazon has it for the same price with free shipping. And they do come with a dust shroud and a port to hook up a dust collector. The tables are not $100. Amazon has them for $50 shipped. There have been some owners who didn't like the blades of the 735 but by far the majority of owners are very satisfied overall. Hardly anyone hates them that I've seen. Are you sure we're talking about the same model of planer because almost nothing of what you described about the DW735 is accurate? :confused:

Bruce

Almost nothing? Surely ... nevermind. I forget your nature sometimes. :)

The ONLY inaccurate thing I said was about the dust port. I said i didn't know if it had one. The price I gave was if you needed one and I concede that I wasn't clear about that. I should have said that it was an estimate and clarified it was for both the tables and the dust port if it needed one. A small oversight that I pray you'll forgive me for.

You've had better luck than about half of the folks I've spoken to who have owned one. They had terrible snipe with theirs before getting the feed tables. You're right about remembering something about gear troubles - more than one has recently come off the line with a faulty head lock. Apparently they have had some failures with that lock automatically engaging.

I've also heard many complaints about blade life. Since they're disposable and pretty thin, it's not a big surprise that they don't last very long. It's all about expectations, though, so I hadn't mentioned that detail before.

I hardly think that the "usual sale price" of $466 is what I'd consider a "Good" price. I'd consider it a normal price. A good price would be $400. Or, even better, $400 with the feed tables included.

Some people have expecations that this machine meets or exceeds. Others have expectations that this machine fails to meet, period. In my experience, those two parties seem to run about 50/50 for this machine. For those kinds of odds, $466 is not a good price. Especially when you factor in sales tax on it.

I say the 734 is a much better value.

Rob Bodenschatz
04-03-2008, 7:30 PM
Amazon must've heard about the Lowes deal:

http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW735-13-Inch-Benchtop-Planer/dp/B0000CCXU8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1207265137&sr=8-1

No tax & if you're prime, free shipping.

FWIW, I got mine from Tyler Tools a few years ago for $335 refurbished. Only complaint I have is that one of the knives got nicked after a few boards. Turned it over & all's good.

Jeff Dunlap
04-03-2008, 7:32 PM
Thanks for all you help this is the first time ive posted, been on here numerous times to read reviews and such so i decided to sign up. I went to lowes and its on back order, i can still get the sale price. They do have the 734 and it looks like a good tool, can anybody give any feedback about this model. Thanks again jeff

Eric Fuller
04-03-2008, 7:42 PM
The 735 has a lot of good things going for it, and a couple bad things that are a deal breaker for some. If you're a hobbyist you'll probably be fine with it.

"but by far the majority of owners are very satisfied overall."
Not sure how you can make that blanket statement unless you work for a polling company and have been doing a little side research. Amazon reviews disprove your opinion.

Bruce Benjamin
04-03-2008, 9:25 PM
Almost nothing? Surely ... nevermind. I forget your nature sometimes. :)

If by my, "Nature" you mean that post the truth, then yes it's my nature.:)

The ONLY inaccurate thing I said was about the dust port. I said i didn't know if it had one. The price I gave was if you needed one and I concede that I wasn't clear about that. I should have said that it was an estimate and clarified it was for both the tables and the dust port if it needed one. A small oversight that I pray you'll forgive me for.

I can see you're not going to agree with anything on this so I'll just point out where you're wrong and leave it at that.:) I'd say that you were inaccurate when you said it wasn't a great price. Show me another place that has it for a better price. I just did a quick search and the cheapest I found it for was about $530. Many were $550 and more. $466 sounds like a great price to me. You were wrong about the dust port, which tells me you actually have no experience with this planer and probably didn't really get much real info from all of your friends who are unhappy with theirs. They have always came with the dust port. The tables only cost $50. They aren't a requirement if you don't mind making your own like I have and many others have. You can also do just fine with some cheap roller stands. That's what I used for a month or so until I built my stand for it. I'll try to forgive you though.;)

You've had better luck than about half of the folks I've spoken to who have owned one. They had terrible snipe with theirs before getting the feed tables. You're right about remembering something about gear troubles - more than one has recently come off the line with a faulty head lock. Apparently they have had some failures with that lock automatically engaging.

"Half of the folks"? Really? I guess you must either know some very picky or unlucky people. Way more than half of the people who have talked about this very popular planer on several WW forums I've frequented have been very happy with them. I've never heard of one single complaint that used the phrase, "Terrible snipe" or anything close to that. I have heard of some people complaining about minor snipe. I've even had that myself until I properly adjusted my infeed table. And before that I just lightly lifted up on the end of the board as it was feeding in and there was zero snipe. Most, if not all planers in this class or in any class will have some snipe, with or without infeed tables.

I've only read of a few reports of gear troubles. I won't say that I've read every post on every forum about the 735 but I don't recall seeing anything about the headlock having a problem. It must not be a very common problem. Keep in mind that it's a very popular planer and there are bound to be the occasional problem. Nobody has a perfect record.

I've also heard many complaints about blade life. Since they're disposable and pretty thin, it's not a big surprise that they don't last very long. It's all about expectations, though, so I hadn't mentioned that detail before.

By far the biggest complaint is with the blades. And most people are still happy with theirs even if they do have to replace them more often than they want to. I think a lot of these people get a nick or two and consider the blade bad. All you have to do is slightly shift one blade and the nick is gone. You can do this over and over again before you can't eliminate the nicked sections showing up in the wood. I've had great luck with mine. Some people have even lightly honed theirs to get a little more life out of them.

I hardly think that the "usual sale price" of $466 is what I'd consider a "Good" price. I'd consider it a normal price. A good price would be $400. Or, even better, $400 with the feed tables included.

Well, I guess a good price could also be $50 bucks but be reasonable. I don't know if this is the, "Usual sale price" or not but right now it's the cheapest I found it anywhere. That isn't a good price to you? Have you EVER seen a new 735 for $400? Probably not. These days that price just doesn't exist. If the standard price that practically every other retailer is selling this for is more than $50 to $100 more then I'd say that this was a very good price. Dare I say a Great Price?:eek:;)

Some people have expecations that this machine meets or exceeds. Others have expectations that this machine fails to meet, period. In my experience, those two parties seem to run about 50/50 for this machine. For those kinds of odds, $466 is not a good price. Especially when you factor in sales tax on it.

I say the 734 is a much better value.

You are absolutely wrong that 50% of the people are dissatisfied with their 735 planer. I don't know where you've been getting your, "Experience" or what people you've been talking to but I've read what I'm sure is well over a hundred reports on this and other forums and the great majority are happy with it and recommend it to others. When someone asks about what planer they should get this is the most popular answer. There are others but very few are dissatisfied overall.

I speak the truth and that is, as you say, "My nature". :) There are opinions and there are facts. Facts are either true or not. Yours were not.

Bruce

Jeff Dunlap
04-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted, as for the bad reviews, mostly were amzon and sites as such, it had many 1 star reviews. Anyways i went with the 734 as it was in stock on sale as well for 313 and now i can use my 150 saved and buy the grizzly jointer i had my eye on, the only bad thing is with space limited ill probably have to get the 6" instead of 8" so i was wondering if anyone had any info on the G0452 and G1182ZHW im leanig towards the G0452 for the larger fence and built in mobile base, they only draw back and difference i see other than the aformentioned is two handwheels on the 1182 instead of a handwheel and lever on the g0452 can any tell me a good reason to buy the 1182zhw over the g0452 or vice versa as always anyhelp is apperciated. Thanks again

Dave MacArthur
04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Greetings Jeff, and welcome!

There are several reveiws/threads on the 6 vs. 8 " grizzly jointers here, try using the SEARCH button up top and you should get some-- immediate answers that way, from a lot more folks than might happen across this thread. Also, you might want to start a new thread on the jointer for more info after you've read what's here, so folks can find it.

I'd go for the 0452 myself. Shipping weight is 50 lbs more, it's only 1" shorter table. Fence is bigger. Mobile base, and 4" dust port included, not on other. I don't actually see anything on the 1182 to justify it's higher price.

Jason Beam
04-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted, as for the bad reviews, mostly were amzon and sites as such, it had many 1 star reviews. Anyways i went with the 734 as it was in stock on sale as well for 313 and now i can use my 150 saved and buy the grizzly jointer i had my eye on, the only bad thing is with space limited ill probably have to get the 6" instead of 8" so i was wondering if anyone had any info on the G0452 and G1182ZHW im leanig towards the G0452 for the larger fence and built in mobile base, they only draw back and difference i see other than the aformentioned is two handwheels on the 1182 instead of a handwheel and lever on the g0452 can any tell me a good reason to buy the 1182zhw over the g0452 or vice versa as always anyhelp is apperciated. Thanks again

Jeff, You will not be disappointed in the 734. I'm about to swap blades on mine for the first time in ... i think at least 2 years now ... LOTS of BF have gone through it and it's a heck of a machine. It's loud as heck, but all of 'em are, and it weighs a ton!

I doubt you'd miss the 2 speeds offered by the 735, really. At least ... _I_ don't miss them. I have heard very few complaints from 734 (and younger brother 733) owners, either. I believe you made the right chioce :)

As for jointers ... I have the G0586 from Grizzly and can't say enough good about it. It's a very solid, beefy machine. A friend of mine has the G0490 and loves it as well. The fit/finish on both are as good as any other name-brand tool I have. A few other friends have much older 6" grizzly jointers and are also satisfied. They've got a pretty good track record.

I don't have direct experience with the models you listed, nor do I know anyone who does so I won't dare speculate on them, but I can say as a jointer manufacturer, Grizzly is a perfectly capable maker of quality jointers - in my experience. :)

I can give you my preference, though. I am a hand-wheel guy, myself. The G0490 my friend has uses levers and I just have a tough time "sneaking up" measurements on it. It could verywell be that not owning and using one every day is why I have trouble with it. But I find that turning a hand wheel just a little bit gives me a better sense of how much I'm moving things. Lots of people have used the lever style and haven't complanied - so I think it's mostly a matter of preference. I've just found the lever style to be cumbersome.

The biggest thing in jointers, though, is bed length. The longer the bed, the easier it is to joint long boards. If all things are equal, go with the longest bed.

Congrats on your new planer!!