PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Mobile Base

alex grams
04-03-2008, 5:20 PM
I have the linked base for my bandsaw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/G7314)

I notice that when I move it in a certain direction (towards the side with the rotating casters) that the wheels on the casters drag along the base, which makes it a large pain in the butt to move around. I have had this base for about 4 months or so, and it seems to have really gotten noticable lately. I run it on a smooth concrete floor.

What could be the problem? I have a hard time believing that the caster sizes have changed (though the weather is warmer lately).

It is very annoying when i have to fish tail the saw sometimes to move it because the casters are dragging on the frame and prohibiting movement in a certain direction.

thoughts?

Greg Cole
04-03-2008, 5:34 PM
Hey Alex,
HAVE WE ENTERED THE TWILIGHT ZONE?
I have one that I hate for the same reason. Let me guess, it's under your G0513X2? Also ya can't open the door on the bottom of the saw when in that base either!
I made one in the shop at work, problems solved.
Don't tell me your about to leave the day job for the night now too (cause I am).

Greg

alex grams
04-03-2008, 5:36 PM
I put a 3/4" piece of wood under mine, so at least i can open the door, but you know the answer on what saw is sitting on it :)

It is just dang annoying that i can't wheel that thing around very easily :(

Bob Slater
04-03-2008, 5:53 PM
I have my table saw sitting on a Shop Fox dolly. It works very poorly, as my floor is not level and has some potholes. .

Carl Fox
04-03-2008, 6:08 PM
I think the wheels are too small and too hard. Any tiny thing in the way will lock up a wheel like a chock.

When I build my Uber-Table [tm] I'm thinking of using pneumatic tyres with casters on all 4 corners.

Lance Norris
04-03-2008, 6:49 PM
Alex... I bought 2 of the Shop Fox mobile bases when I bought my Griz 1021x. I used all 4 non rotating casters on the planer base because I just pull it away from the wall, use it and push it straight back. I bought the second one just to have as an extra because at the time my shop was growing and I knew soon I would be needing it for some reason. Well that reason came soon enough and I put my 14" bandsaw on it just a couple months ago. The casters are JUNK. They wouldnt swivel and the wheels dont turn. WTF! I replaced the casters with some from Harbor Freight, and now the bandsaw just glides across my very uneven floor. Seriously, the casters are the worst Ive ever seen. The base is nice though.

alex grams
04-03-2008, 8:20 PM
time to go shopping for new casters it seems =/

Mac Cambra
04-03-2008, 8:34 PM
I had a problem with this base and discovered that the rotating wheels and the fixed wheels have to be place on the correct mounting locations to rotate unobstructed by the frame of the base.

Make sure you have the right caster type mounted to its corresponding correct mounting bracket.

glenn bradley
04-03-2008, 8:36 PM
Its not the poorest base I've owned but not near the nicest. Ply wood solves the door problem. Mine is doing fine under the G0513X but I do see how the rubber could . . well . . rub if the ears were bent from excessive weight. My bandsaw does seem to be a bit over capacity for this thing. The rails flex for cryin' out loud. I imagine if I really gave it a workout on a regular basis it would end up like yours. It's too bad the $50 to $75 bases don't act like the $200 ones, eh?

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 9:20 AM
I bought the heavy duty Shop Fox base rated to carry 2+ of the bandsaws weight and it's pathetic. The rails flex, the brackets for the wheels flex, the swivel casters hit the frame..... I think that's about it (what else could there be?).
Junk, junk & oh yeah junk. If I was the type to return things, this woulda gone back to the big bear store. Stuff like that just gets under my saddle and I don't deal nicely with custromer service (especially knowing I;m one of many with the same problems with a base that wasn't el-cheapo & was supposed to be "overkill"), so I justy chuck it and go on. Day job has a metal shop so I can do gov't work as needed.;)
Mac,
I have attached the swivel wheels on the locking & non locking sides, same problems of the wheels hitting the frame. I spend an hour farting around with that when I set up the saw (more damn time than I spend putting the saw together).

Ah well, no more Shop Fox bases for me.

Greg

Frank Martin
04-04-2008, 9:38 AM
I bought one for my new G0634 J/P. It was rated for about twice the weight of the machine. Similar problems as others mentioned (e.g., flex in members, literally disintegrating wheels). I actually did return mine because it did not perform as advertised. Like everyone else mentions all the time customer service was excellent. However, I had to rent a hoist one more time to remove the Shop Fox base and install a new HTC base. This whole process meant hours and some money wasted on my part. The HTC base is wonderful. The funny part, HTC actually cost less than the Shop Fox on sale from Amazon. Based on this one experience, I would pay even twice as much for an HTC base, it simply works.

I hope Shiraz puts some priority on improving the mobile bases. Grizzly sure makes much better machines, why not much better mobile bases that one can purchase at the time of ordering the machines.

alex grams
04-04-2008, 9:55 AM
I have to agree with Frank. (and wish I had come across a thread such as this before I purchased the base)

I could understand a defect in an item, or something wearing over time, but to design a mobile base where the wheels don't even have the proper clearance, that is just bad business.

Hmm, think Grizzly would take back an item after about 4 months and no original box? :(

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Alex,
Mine's all but new as well, other than a few scratches where I gave it a flying lesson.... but it failed that lesson and I decided to stop teaching.

And sounds like Frank sncuk in a stealth gloat there. Don't think I've seen any reviews or pics of a Creekers Griz J/P?;)

Greg

Frank Martin
04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Greg,

I did post a review with pictures here. Should find it with a search.

I used it a bit more since that review, I still like the machine very much... just as Shiraz told me when I asked him about this machine before it was released...

Alex,
Mine's all but new as well, other than a few scratches where I gave it a flying lesson.... but it failed that lesson and I decided to stop teaching.

And sounds like Frank sncuk in a stealth gloat there. Don't think I've seen any reviews or pics of a Creekers Griz J/P?;)

Greg

Greg Cole
04-04-2008, 1:43 PM
Frank,
Thanks for the kick in the umm... seat. ;) As soon as I shuddap here, I'll snoop around for your post.
I've been itchy to see any feedback on them as I have a couple Griz tools and inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks n Cheers.

Greg