PDA

View Full Version : Vista to printer

Anthony Welch
04-03-2008, 4:07 PM
I had to buy a new computer Vista OS. Could not get USB to serial to work. Bought Ethernet cable, can't get it to work either. Have called Epilog and only managed to have developed and "error" on my legend icon.

Can anyone help?

James Stokes
04-03-2008, 4:33 PM
If you are hooking directly to the laser from the computer, you need a crossover cable instead of the ethernet cable.

Peck Sidara
04-03-2008, 8:04 PM
Anthony,

Is it a failed to print error?
Failed to connect error?
What exactly does the error message state?
Are you connecting directly via X-over cable or are you trying to connect to both your internet and laser at the same time?

Click on link http://www.epiloglaser.com/laser_manuals.htm and download latest Mini/Helix manual. Check out appendix C, additional print driver instructions. Vista comes in a variety of versions; Home, Pro, Office etc. Using the notes you'll find here will help guide you thru the network connection to your EX via Vista.

I sound like a broken record when I say tech supports your best bet when it comes to a solution. We have various versions of Vista for them to reference and they'll be able to walk you thru step-by-step via a direct connection.

If you're using a hub/switch/router and are connected to the internet then things get juicy. Tech support will do their best to configure it but there's just so many different products and ways to connect that it may become very difficult to where only a knowledgeable network person can configure it on sight.

HTH,

John Noell
04-04-2008, 4:04 AM
One of the things I frequently get asked to do is remove Vista and install XP. You may well be happier with XP but first make sure that there are XP device drivers (e.g., audio, video, network) available for that particular computer.

Anthony Welch
04-04-2008, 4:37 AM
Ok, looks like I need the "cross over cable". I hope our local Computer store has this. Will try this morning. But, what ever happened to the "plug and play" that these computers are supposed to do?

I do have a wireless router running to this computer as it is in my office that is separated from my home. Will I not be able to have both if I run an eithernet cable? This is just one bumer after another.

I can't even get the USB to print. It prints to my paper printer and 'yes I do have my Legend choosen as my printer

James Stokes
04-04-2008, 9:05 AM
Running the ethernet cable will not affect the wireless part at all.

Anthony Welch
04-04-2008, 6:22 PM
Yep, didn't have a cross over cable and installing one of the IP address', I left out a "."!

Glad I did it, the transfers are faster and tommorrow I'll try and send over two jobs to do on the same page. This something that I couldn't do before. It always got corupted and started burning lines not in the job.

Thanks!

Peck Sidara
04-04-2008, 9:04 PM
I'm glad you guys got it figured out. :)