PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom Wall Cabinet Gloat

Jeff Wright
04-03-2008, 8:56 AM
I recently installed french doors between our bedroom and living room. I had to extend a short wall section as well. Because the original wall was block construction, its depth provided an opportunity to build some cabinets in the new 11-inch deep wall section. I built two 2-door cabinets with adjustable shelving. I used the Amana Instile router bits that adjust for different thickness of panels up to and including 1/2-inch panels. The doors were made with poplar and 1/4-inch maple ply panels. Butt hinges were used for the inset doors. Natural finished poplar shelves were fitted with adjustable pegs with matching sleeves.

alex grams
04-03-2008, 9:10 AM
I bet it took all of a half second between when you said it was done and your wife loaded it up with either blankets/comforters/sheets.

I could build many things for my wife, but she will always love the most the ones that give her more storage to buy more clothes/home decor.

Very nice though, and great use of the space. It looks like it really belongs there too, and goes great with the French doors.

Scott Loven
04-03-2008, 9:34 AM
Looks great, just out of curiosity, why didn't you build it as one cabinet?

Scott

Jeff Wright
04-03-2008, 9:38 AM
Looks great, just out of curiosity, why didn't you build it as one cabinet?

Scott

Scott, I had considered that but I ended up wanting the look of separates; a bit more interest. Plus, I felt it allowed for a more stable wall since there are studs running horizontally between the two cabinets.

Jeff Wright
04-03-2008, 9:42 AM
I bet it took all of a half second between when you said it was done and your wife loaded it up with either blankets/comforters/sheets.

Alex, actually I have an unusual wife . . . it was only with my insistence that she use one of the shelves that she agreed to use one. This is the same woman who encouraged me to buy my woodworking tools and the boat that sits out back on its boat lift!! Either she really loves me . . . OR, she wants to keep me out of her hair!!

alex grams
04-03-2008, 9:57 AM
Take what you can get!

J. Z. Guest
04-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Jeff, they look awesome. Very classy.

I'm another one of those guys who hate to see empty space between walls, in corners, and up high wasted just for building convenience.

James Reichman
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Nice work! I love the use of space.About 3 years ago I gutted my house. I have a "cape style" home. With the angled walls and ceilings on the 2 second floor bedrooms. I did built in dressers. Was one of the best things I did on the home.

Jim Becker
04-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Very nice work, Jeff!

gary Zimmel
04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Good job Jeff. They look great!

Matthew Voss
04-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Jeff-

Looks great.

How do you like the bit set? I just ordered the In-Stile straight bit set...

Jeff Wright
04-03-2008, 1:00 PM
Good job Jeff. They look great!
Thanks Jim and Gary.

I wished I had used oil-based paint to finish them instead of the acrylic I did use. I was tempted to use my so-far-untried Apollo 1025 HVLP spray system, but I felt that the size of the job was too small to set up the gear. Besides, I need to first build a spray booth.

Jeff Wright
04-03-2008, 1:03 PM
Jeff-

Looks great.

How do you like the bit set? I just ordered the In-Stile straight bit set...

Love them. If you take the time to add or delete the shims, you can set it up to be extremely precise. The documentation is skimpy but sufficient. They come set up for 1/4-inch panels. You might want to take notes when you first disassemble the bits to record what shims were used and where. I use my digital calipers to determine what each shim's thickness is as they are not marked in any way.