PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing 3d and Using Artcam or other Software?

Kevin L. Waldron
04-03-2008, 7:39 AM
I am curious is anyone using Artcam or other program(Enroute, Rhioncam, Mastercam) to produce 3d lasering files to be lasered. One of the options with Artcam Tool pathing is to create a file for laser. I have a lot of 3d clip art from various sources and now do this on a cnc router just wondering whether it can be done and done faster on laser etc. What is the maximium depth that can be achieved in a single pass and look good etc. I have produced a file and most of the clip arts are porportional in that the larger you make there size the deeper the file cuts. The file I produced for the laser did cut to about 5.56" deep and was approximately 10"x11".

I have not got my laser in yet. I have ordered a 48x24 dual head 120 watt UL. Expect the machine in first of May. Any info would be appreciated, I know the representatives say this can be done just would like to here from the real world.

Thanks,

Kevin

Garry McKinney
04-03-2008, 8:38 AM
I use corel x4 .

Things to know, compaired to normal engraving , 3-d laser carving is slow. A 8x10 can eaisly take over an hour to produce correct results. If your going to use wood and combine it with the laser , do not expect it to be a quick process. Different woods will cut differently , depths are not consistant, moisture content, wood type , grain direction, growth lines, will all effect the burn. Most dark woods are a waste of time , as your producing light relief carvings, without undercuts to produce shadows to give depth to the carving.

A normal cut is .030 or less. You can not control the depth except through grey scale. To get to 1/4 inch depth in cherry will take hours.
Results can be impressive but cost is usally prohibitive for your customers by the time design work is added to the price.

A cnc has many advantages , but your finishing requirements are different.

Kevin L. Waldron
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks, for the response. It is not uncommon now on the cnc for 3d art to take 1-24 hours depending on the complexity. Artcam will actually according to the literature produce a file (and I have made and saved such)that is usable by the laser. As I mentioned I don't have a machine yet so I can't test.

With several other projects and machines running sometimes the wait if the laser can do the job might not be bad. What we we do now on the cnc; because of the time used, is let it run after hours or before production if the machine was going to remain idle anyway. I do agree that often even on a cnc at $75-150 per hour there is no way that the customer would pay for the time involved.

All that being said we have got jobs, and repeats because we did something in a 3d relief for someone. I look at it more as a catch-you ad. Anyway if the machine is running during normal down times it really is cheap advertising. You can bet most of the competion can't or want be able to do it and it really makes fine display products. I'm not an artist but much of the clipart available makes me appear as a master. To use such you simply need to know how to add subtract and run your machine.

Richard Rumancik
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
You might want to search this forum for "3D" and such to see other threads on the issue. My observation is that 3D engraving is a great selling feature of lasers - but once the user tries it out quickly realizes that it is pretty hard to make any money doing it. So it is more of a theoretical feature than a practical one. If you are going to make a widget and decorate it with an hour or more of engraving, can you charge enough to pay for the lasering? Many users have decided that they cannot. Also, if you have any rejects, or need to do any testing, your overhead goes way up.

The laser still needs to be attended during "down times". I would be disinclined to run the laser for 12 or more hours to make a sample of something that I could not actually market at a reasonable price. You probably want to display items that will make you money. The "down time" is not entirely free as it does put a lot of wear and tear on the laser. I would not have a problem with running a CNC mill overnight unattended, but I would not leave a laser running unattended.

There might be a place for 3D engraving (or 2 1/2 D engraving) with smaller logos etc but I don't think we have heard any members report here that they were doing 3D engraving to any great extent. I know Rodne has mentioned 3D patternmaking for medallions etc but even then he has expressed reservations about the surface quality.

I think the right place for the 3D engraving is with a small tabletop mill, router, or engraving machine. Sounds like you have one. It could be combined with laser engraving with a good effect. But I'm not convinced that the laser is the right tool for 3D engraving. If you find out otherwise, please let us know where you find markets for 3D engraving.

Sandra Force
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
It is very dangerous to run a laser without someone at the very least within hearing of it when running. I don't think that you are interested in burning down your shop. You have less chance of a fire during engraving than cutting, but there is the possibility anytiime you are dealing with wood and fire. There are so many potential wrecks that can happen if there is not someone around to keep an eye on the laser that I wouldn't even consider running it on "down time". I run some 3D on wood and it is slow and the artwork has to be outstanding to turn out commercial quality. It sure is not something that I would want to bank on making a living at.:rolleyes: