PDA

View Full Version : TS blade storage ???

Terry Achey
04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
I've been thinking about a simple, yet effective method to store my TS blades on a wall mounted fixture. Then, I thougth surely the Sawmill panel of experts must have already invented this wheel (in a variety of styles, too)!:D

What say? ... any clever and simple designs you would like to share?

Thanks in advance.
Terry

Eric Fuller
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
3/4" MDF box. Knock out a quick rabbit on the edges, then cut kerfs 1/2 way through as slots (bump 'em a 64th for clearance) spaced about 5/8" apart. Bolt to wall. Slide blades in. Should take about 10 minutes.

Jamie Buxton
04-02-2008, 11:29 PM
My blades hang on a nail driven into a stud. No need to make this more complex than it is.

Eric Fuller
04-02-2008, 11:34 PM
My blades hang on a nail driven into a stud. No need to make this more complex than it is.

I'm not comfortable with a thousand bucks in Forrest/Freud marked metal banging around on a nail. Solution doesn't have to be complex, but it doesnt have to thrash your blades either ;)

glenn bradley
04-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Mine is the one you've seen a few variations of in almost any of the mags. It isn't really leaning. I was leaning over the saw to snap the pic ;-) I banged this one together as a temporary and have had it for years. Must've taken all of an hour to make and mount.

David DeCristoforo
04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
We have a simple box of 3/4" ply with 1/4" X 3/8" dados in the sides spaced about 1.5" apart to hold 1/4" plywood "slide out trays". Very neat, protects the blades and stashes under the extension table. But before that it was as Jamie said... nails stuck in the wall.

YM

Rob Will
04-03-2008, 12:30 AM
I have all sorts of saw blades that have different diameters. Each has it's own nail on he wall.

Rob

Joe Chritz
04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
My nails are on the back panel of a cabinet. Same principal just contained in a cabinet. I may run a piece of masking tape around a freshly sharpened blade but normally they just hand there.

Since I only have 10" and 12" and they are on opposite ends of the shop I may make a box someday.

Joe

Clay Crocker
04-03-2008, 7:20 AM
Terry,

I have found the best solution for storing my 10" saw blades is the saw jaw and a peg board hook:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/Crocker85/Saw-Jaw.jpg

They protect the blades and make them easy to handle. They also protect me from the blades;).

Clay

Prashun Patel
04-03-2008, 8:33 AM
A cheaper soln (but not as pretty?):

Get 3/8" clear poly tubing (< $0.50/lf).
Cut it to length (= circumference of each blade).
Slice it length-wise.
Tuck the blade teeth into the slot. When you get to the end, tuck the tube onto itself. If it won't stay, clip it with a binderstyle paper clip.
Hang the blade on a nail or pegboard hook through the center or through the clip.

I prefer stacking blades instead of 'displaying' them bkz it takes up less space. Protecting the teeth makes it simple and safe to sort through the stack to find the good'n.

Matt Meiser
04-03-2008, 8:38 AM
I have a box like Eric's, but mine is on a shelf next to the saw instead of on the wall. Mine tilts back slightly by way of cleat under the front edge to keep the blades from accidentally rolling out.

John Thompson
04-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Simple piece of MDF with dowels inserted an angled slightly up for me. I haven't chipped a tooth in the 12 years I have been using the method. Nor the 24 years before that with nails driven in a 2 x 4 mounted vertically to a wall stud.

Sarge..

John Pahl
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm not comfortable with a thousand bucks in Forrest/Freud marked metal banging around on a nail. Solution doesn't have to be complex, but it doesnt have to thrash your blades either ;)
I used to use a box with grooves cut in it to store my blades but I find the getting the blades in and out requires more handling of the blades. I don't want to drop the blade so I try and handle them as little as possible. A nail in the wall at a slight angle has worked well for me.

John

Rick Hubbard
04-03-2008, 5:47 PM
All depends on just how anal you want to be (or how you want others to think you are). I treat my blades like gold, but I'm sure this would not work for everyone.:)

Bart Leetch
04-03-2008, 7:59 PM
Here is my solution.

Michael Lutz
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I hang them on one of 4 - 5/8" dowels with 1/8" hardboard spacers in between. Each dowel is for different sized blades.

Mike

Adam Cavaliere
04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Wood Magazine this month has a write up on what you are looking for - it looks like a simple project.

Terry Achey
04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for lots of simple (and some more elegant) solutions! Appreciate all the photos, too. As usual, many acceptable methods to achieve the goal. The "saw jaw" is a unique and interesting device, but I can tell that many of you enjoy the opportunity to "build it".:) Thanks again... Terry

Peter Quinn
04-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm using the cardboard packaging each blade came in from the factory, stacked in a drawer under the out feed table of the saw. I've been meaning to make something more elegant, but my hardware store is out of round tuits! I am envious of a finer approach but never seem to find the time.

Tone Ricciardi
04-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I built a simple cabinet from a design in Woodsmith or shopnotes a few years ago. It works well for me. Sorry the pics aren't bigger. Tone