PDA

View Full Version : Lastest Turnerings

Jim Underwood
04-02-2008, 9:28 PM
Here's a couple of things I did lately. Critiques welcome on the box.

This little Cherry box I turned from a tree cut down in my yard. It was supposed to be turning stock for fruit, but it was so cracked and wormy that there was only enough left for small boxes.
Body: Cherry
Insert: Crape Myrtle, Walnut, Cherry
2-1/8 x 2-7/16
Gel Poly finish

The bowl is a piece of split fence post a friend gave me. It was weathered and grey, but the wood has this gorgeous chatoyance you just can't see from the photo. It turns well too. It looks to be Locust, but some have said it might be Chestnut. The split face of the post was left on the outside and the natural edge is the rim.

5-1/4 x 2-1/2
Locust?
Gel Poly Finish

Russ Peters
04-02-2008, 9:38 PM
both very nice. I like the treatment you did on the photos as well with the black frame it kinda sets off the grain

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Jim they are both beauties. I am real partial to the box. Well done on both.

Curt Fuller
04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Those are both very nice. But that bowl really grabs my attention. I like the rustic look to it and I've always been a sucker for something turned from and old piece of wood with a story. Along the line someone felled that tree, sawed those logs, split the posts, and built the fence. Not to mention all the things that the fence has seen come and go.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Jim....I like them both. The box is especially nice!

Jim Becker
04-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I especially like that box, Jim!

Steve Schlumpf
04-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Jim - very nice work on both pieces! Nice form on the box and you did a good job keeping the grain aligned! I have to agree with Curt about the bowl - anything with a history grabs my attention! Again - very nice work!

Joseph Peacock
04-03-2008, 3:35 PM
Awsom turnings and finnish.:D

GLENN THOMAS
04-03-2008, 4:31 PM
I really like the bowl and the rustic look as others have said. I never thought about turning a fence post and I like the idea of telling some one a story or the history behind it.

I got to go look for some fence posts now. Thanks for the inspiration.

GT

Glenn Hodges
04-03-2008, 5:38 PM
Amen to all the above posts, and especially the phots

Skip Spaulding
04-03-2008, 8:12 PM
Great pieces, I really like the box, has kind of an Asian look to the shape or is that just me? Very nice recycle on the post.

Jim Underwood
04-04-2008, 8:39 AM
Thanks all for the compliments.

I'll have to ask my friend if there's a story behind the fence post....

Skip,
No, there was nothing particularly Asian that influenced my desire to make this box shape. It's more likely that I saw this shape in one of my (many) books. Perhaps that one on shapes that I can't remember the title or author on right now...:o

robert hainstock
04-04-2008, 9:23 AM
Seems like I read somewhere that locust was used for fences because of rot resistance. good job on both pieces. :):)
Bob

Jim Underwood
04-04-2008, 9:57 AM
That's correct Robert. It's very rot resistant... It's better than White Oak, but not as good as Osage Orange.