PDA

View Full Version : OK... Now what!!

David Sallee
04-02-2008, 8:00 PM
Hey all,

Well as of a few weeks ago I had my heart set on getting the Jet Mini Lathe in the next week or two.... (my very first lathe :D )

NOW! I get this Grizzly catalog in the mail and thumb to the lathes to see what they have... and wouldn't you know it, they have the Grizzly G0624 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0624) for about the same price! So now I'm stuck!

Do I go with the Grizzly 10" cast iron or the Jet mini ????

Help me decide!!

Oh, BTW... I'm "thinking" I will be doing mostly pens and such.... not sure about the bowls and larger items.... but... who knows....

Dave

Bill Bolen
04-02-2008, 8:17 PM
Go with the jet! Your satisfaction is all but guaranted!..Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2008, 8:19 PM
I would go with the Jet. If I was going to buy a Grizzly it would be the G0568.

John Shuk
04-02-2008, 9:46 PM
I'd go with Jet. It is tried and true.

Paul Douglass
04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
JET! jet! jet! Had to say it three times or I get a message saying my message is too short.

I might add, it may be worth wait for the Jet 1220 VS. That is what I have my eye on.

dennis kranz
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
One word Jet.

Scott Hubl
04-02-2008, 11:06 PM
grizzly is NOT well known for their lathes.

They are not designed by woodturners for woodturners, that is the majority concensus on a couple other woodturning forums I frequent.

Get yourself the Jet Mini in any configuration you want. It IS a proven winner.

When it's time for an upgrade the Jet Mini will retain alot more value too, heck most end up wanting to KEEP their Jet Mini along with their new upgrade lathe.

I myself am giving my Jet Mini to my Brother, might as well drag him into the Vortex whether he wants too or not.:D

Neal Addy
04-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Misery loves company, huh?

David Sallee
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone for their input...

After reading the posts mostly for the Jet... I'm gonna go with my first pick and get the Jet...

Thanks again
Dave

Scott Hubl
04-02-2008, 11:44 PM
You got it Neal. LOL

I'm setting him up pretty well I think, the Jet mini, on the Jet stand, a set of chisels, the Nova Midi Chuck, plus a pen mandrel and whatever else I can find, he's done right by me in the past so it's my way of giving back to him.

Little does he know it just may cost him a whole lot down the
road. http://www.33smiley.com/smiley5/humor/19.gif

Ken Fitzgerald
04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Neal.....I think Scott is holding in some sibling rivalry....some brotherly memories and plans on getting...not just even but ahead by giving his brother a lathe and tools!

John Gornall
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
There's another point of view - save yourself some time and buy a lathe with a 16" - 20" swing and 36" between centers. Then buy all the accessories once. I'm pretty sure you'll find almost every turner ends up buying twice - mini lathe with accessories and then real lathe and bigger accessories. Might as well eliminate one step.

Gordon Seto
04-03-2008, 9:40 AM
IMO, it is better to get a mini to test the water first. I belong to two active clubs, each has over hundred members. A lot of us have a mini along with their full size lathes. The majority love their mini so much that they keep them when they purchase their ultimate lathes. Very, very few kept their full size lathes when upgrade. We have no reason to keep a demo lathe, because each Club has 6 ~ 10 Jet 1014 VS club lathes. A few even bought a Jet mini in addition to the $3K+ lathe after trying the Club minis. A good mini is more enjoyable to use and holds better resale value than a mediocre full size lathe.

Know your turning style, what features you prefer before settling in what you want first hand.

David Sallee
04-03-2008, 6:50 PM
...... I myself am giving my Jet Mini to my Brother......

Hey, I'll be anybodys brother if they are giving me a JET MINI LATHE!

Anybody? <-------- yoohoo... Scott.... PSSST!!! ... need another brother?

I need a brother... I'm an only child and have never had a brother... :(

Anybody??

Helloooooo..... Anybody????

:rolleyes:

Dave

Dennis Peacock
04-03-2008, 7:33 PM
Did I make it too late to vote???? JET!!!!! ;)

John Pennisi
04-03-2008, 7:47 PM
Just bought a Jet Mini and love it. Was talked into getting a Pioneer from Western Tool Supply, but then returned it for the Jet. Got for $225 (1/2 hp motor) and feel as though it has great value for the price. Solidly built and runs smooth.

Bill Wyko
04-03-2008, 8:23 PM
If you go back in my early posts you'll see i turned quite a few segmented turnings on a Jet Mini. That Lil booger is a tough guy. I don't think you can go wrong.