PDA

View Full Version : Buying My First Table Saw...

Jeff Urich
04-02-2008, 7:23 PM
Any recommendations on a good brand for my first table saw? My budget is on the low end: less than $400, and I don't need commercial grade. I just need something reliable and inexpensive but not cheap.

Also, does anyone know of a good source for stock in the Anchorage, AK area? I may have asked this before:o!

Joe Mioux
04-02-2008, 7:28 PM
A used contractor saw with cast iron wings and a biesmeyer style fence would be my choice.

keep your eyes open, you will find one.

good luck
joe

Tim Morton
04-02-2008, 7:35 PM
you are pretty close to having enough money to get a contractor saw. Many years ago (in fact maybe my first post here) I asked the same question with the same or less of a budget. I was nudged into getting a contractor saw, and I found a great deal on a delta for about $450 and i am so glad I did. It has served me for 7 years...and I am not even close to outgrowing it.

bob cohen
04-02-2008, 7:35 PM
you may not be able to find one with a biesemeyer or similar high-end fence for $400, at least not without some serious looking. New contractor saws are all over $400. There are a number of bench top, aka, jobsite, table saws for less, but the better ones (e.g., makita, dewalt, and bosch) are all over $400.

Another option is to buy a good circular saw, with a tracking system for straight line cuts.

Lance Norris
04-02-2008, 9:00 PM
Another option is to buy a good circular saw, with a tracking system for straight line cuts.

This is a great idea. As a matter of fact, I built this way for years before I bought a decent table saw. Spend $100 on a good circular saw, even reconditioned, a straight guide, and the rest on a used 14" bandsaw. You can do everything you need to do with a circular saw and a bandsaw. Maybe not as quickly, but the added ability the bandsaw brings makes up for the speed factor IMHO.

John Shuk
04-02-2008, 9:30 PM
You are pretty close to the price of the Rigid ts3650. It would be hard to beat and someone posted not long ago that they got it for $380. I think full price these days is about $480. I don't see you getting as much saw for that kind of money.

Kelly Leblond
04-02-2008, 9:47 PM
Lowes here in Albuquerque has the Bosch w/stand on clearance for $301.00, normaly $549.00. No clue if any of the other Lowes have the same deal but it might be worth a look!

Tom Henderson2
04-02-2008, 9:54 PM
Any recommendations on a good brand for my first table saw? My budget is on the low end: less than $400, and I don't need commercial grade. I just need something reliable and inexpensive but not cheap.

Also, does anyone know of a good source for stock in the Anchorage, AK area? I may have asked this before:o!

Hi Jeff-

I just checked the Alaska Craigslist, and there is a good-looking Delta contractor saw complete with a Unifence available in Eagle River for $400.

Take a look...
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/628260319.html

Otherwise, keep watching Craigslist, as well as newspaper classifieds, etc.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Brandon Shew
04-02-2008, 10:05 PM
You can do everything you need to do with a circular saw and a bandsaw.

Ahh, you bandsaw lovers are all alike.

Those of us who are tablesaw afficionados would like to know which saw you plan to use to cut dados: the circular saw or the bandsaw?

Peter Quinn
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
My first table saw was an 8" makita bench top I bought used for $125. I cut a lot of wood with that saw. Not exactly the finest machine ever made, but easier than my skill saw for certain things.

I'm thinking a good skill saw and a straight edge, keep watching the papers/craigs list for a used saw, or save up and increase the budget.

Lance Norris
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Those of us who are tablesaw afficionados would like to know which saw you plan to use to cut dados: the circular saw or the bandsaw?

Ok... Ya got me... Router, also used for other things. For the money of a good contractors saw you can have circular saw, bandsaw and router. Cost... $500. Not trying to start a war, just offering options.

Oh... and Ive seen my dad cut dados with his circular saw.

glenn bradley
04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
This is a great idea. As a matter of fact, I built this way for years before I bought a decent table saw. Spend $100 on a good circular saw, even reconditioned, a straight guide, and the rest on a used 14" bandsaw. You can do everything you need to do with a circular saw and a bandsaw. Maybe not as quickly, but the added ability the bandsaw brings makes up for the speed factor IMHO.

Well, maybe add a router in case you want to do something exotic like rabbets or dados. Even then you could probably stay in budget. :D

Paul Simmel
04-03-2008, 1:59 AM
>>> Ahh, you bandsaw lovers are all alike.

Correct! (smile) We are a strange lot, I guess. The bandsaw is still the fastest, safest, most economical and cleanest tool for slicing and preparing solid lumber to rough dimension. However, it would be practically useless without a jointer and planer, so we are an honest lot as well... :D

Jeff Urich
04-03-2008, 2:58 AM
Hi Jeff-

I just checked the Alaska Craigslist, and there is a good-looking Delta contractor saw complete with a Unifence available in Eagle River for $400.

Take a look...
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/628260319.html

Otherwise, keep watching Craigslist, as well as newspaper classifieds, etc.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA
Tom, great call on craigslist.org! I just checked there and found over a dozen table saws in Anchorage and surrounding areas. I will definitely start there and try to get a higher end brand at a used price. Being a used purchase, any advise as to what to look for or ask when I actually check one out? I would like to avoid a "wish I had thought of this before I bought it" moment!

Scott Kilroy
04-03-2008, 1:59 PM
I saw a dado set for a circular saw in an old sears catalog (I double checked it was for a circular saw) and I couldn't believe that it was useful and that it was safe.

J. Z. Guest
04-03-2008, 5:51 PM
I don't know how big your shop is, but the Ridgid TS2400 is a great portable saw. It's big enough to get serious work done, but has the option of folding down and rolling into the corner for storage. (I use that option ALL THE TIME in my shop) It was $430 I believe at Home Depot.

Contractor saws are great, but always in the way in a small shop.

If you have a shop bigger than a 1 car garage, that may be a good option. Do you have 220 V in your shop? If so, a used cabinet saw would be ideal.

What kind of work do you plan on doing? Lots of large sheet goods or more smaller stuff? That, your budget, and the size of your shop are going to be the main issues.