PDA

View Full Version : segmented hollow form

mike fuson
04-02-2008, 6:24 PM
Its been a while since I've done a segmented piece, so I thought I'd do one for a change of pace. It measures 10 1/2'' wide and 8 1/2'' high ,buffed seal coat finish. Woods used were cherry, walnut, holly, and bloodwood. Thanks for looking.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segdiamondface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segdiatop.jpg

Tony De Masi
04-02-2008, 6:51 PM
Beautiful work Mike. I love everything about it especially how white you were able to keep the Holly. Makes a great contrast.

Tony

Pete Jordan
04-02-2008, 7:04 PM
I really like it a ton! Very nice design!

Robert McGowen
04-02-2008, 7:34 PM
Nice Mike. Love the shape.

Bill Wyko
04-02-2008, 7:43 PM
:DOk Mike, there you go getting up on us segmenters now too. Who do you think you are.:DThat is one georgous work of art you have there. I bet you're hooked now aren'tcha. You've done a fantastic job on this one too. Hard to take your eyes off of it I bet. I look forward to more seggies from you.

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-02-2008, 8:09 PM
Mike, I do a fair amount of segmented turning teaching and I stress over and over, the importance of shape. Good joints and pretty wood will never overcome poor form. You nailed this one - perfect curves - real eye candy. Nice photo too. Congratulations.

Steve Schlumpf
04-02-2008, 8:09 PM
Mike - I've yet to do a segmented turning so can only appreciate the extra effort required to turn one. This is a beauty! Great design, wood color combination and finish! What I love about this piece is the form - that translates across all boundries - segmented or traditional!

As I have come to expect from you - another outstanding turning! Thanks for posting!

Ron Erickson
04-02-2008, 8:46 PM
I love everything about this one.

Mike Golka
04-02-2008, 9:48 PM
Great looking piece! I love the contrast.

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2008, 10:30 PM
That is a beautiful piece Mike. That is a outstanding turning.

Walt Nollan
04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Very nice work! I like the shape and wood choices.

Walt

Cary Swoveland
04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Mike,

Wow! I love it. Great photos too. To my eye, the overall shape, the size and location of the feature ring, the relative sizes of the different components, the choice of woods, the execution, are just perfect. Two things that struck me are the simplicity of the feature ring, and the absense of narrow bands that you normally see right above and below the feature ring, to set it off from the rest of the form. This "less is more" gives the form a very clean and striking appearance.

Great job.

I would be grateful if you could elaborate on the finish and also comment on your setup for the photos.

Cary

mike fuson
04-03-2008, 1:38 AM
Mike,

Wow! I love it. Great photos too. To my eye, the overall shape, the size and location of the feature ring, the relative sizes of the different components, the choice of woods, the execution, are just perfect. Two things that struck me are the simplicity of the feature ring, and the absense of narrow bands that you normally see right above and below the feature ring, to set it off from the rest of the form. This "less is more" gives the form a very clean and striking appearance.

Great job.

I would be grateful if you could elaborate on the finish and also comment on your setup for the photos.

Cary

I use Bullseye dewaxed shellac seal coat. The more I use it the more I like it. Just make sure when you wipe it on to quickly wipe the excess off to prevent lapping 'cause it dries very fast. You should be able to buy it at your local hardware store.
As far as the photos, I use a photo tent and back drop in a dark room with side lights. I also use a tripod.

Don Eddard
04-03-2008, 3:26 AM
Great piece, Mike. As Malcolm said, you nailed the form IMHO.

Ron Drew
04-03-2008, 8:34 AM
I love this piece Mike. The colors contrast beautifully, and the form is, IMHO, perfect. Great job!

Jim Maxwell
04-03-2008, 8:43 AM
Beautiful shape, beautiful timbers, beautifully executed. In a word gorgeous piece.
Jim

Tom Sherman
04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
One very cool HF Mike, you've done a great job with this one.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Mike...you nailed it in every way.....form....finish....design and wood. Very nicely done Sir!

Paul Douglass
04-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Man, what everyone else said. Nice, nice, job.

Mike Vickery
04-03-2008, 1:09 PM
Mike,
Your piece is a beauty. I always look forward to seeing you post your work.

Joseph Peacock
04-03-2008, 3:24 PM
Awsom!!!!!! Nice detale I couldn't do it better my self.:D

Paul Rains
04-04-2008, 10:12 AM
This is a beutiful piece, great picture also.

I am just getting started in the turning addiction, I have been woodworking for about 10 years. I am from Whitley County also, and would love to come out and see your work and get some advice. I am also looking for fellow woodworkers to help me with mission work I am involved in. You can reach me at prains@lexingtonchristian.org.:)

Dave Carey
04-04-2008, 3:35 PM
Mike,
Having just completed my first segmented piece I hacve a newfound appreciation for the time and talents involved. Beautiful piece. Gives me something to shoot for. Cheers